Solving a Re-arranging Problem: Making r the Subject

• Thread starter lostidentity
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the ODE \frac{dr}{dt} = \Phi - \Psi \frac{2}{r}\frac{dr}{dt} and making r the subject of the equation. It is determined that it is not possible to do so, unless the LHS is defined as f(r). An alternative solution is suggested, r = 2 \Psi lambert\left(\frac{e^{\frac{t\Phi+c}{2 \Psi}}}{2 \Psi}\right), but it is advised to triple check the solution before trusting it.
lostidentity
I'm trying integrate the following equation and make r the subject
[tex]\frac{dr}{dt} = \Phi - \Psi \frac{2}{r}\frac{dr}{dt}[/tex]

I first collect the derivative terms together and integrate the equation with respect to r and t to obtain

[tex]r + 2\Psi\ln{r} = \Phi{t} + r_0 [/tex]

where r0 is the constant of integration. My question is how would I make r the subject of the above equation?

Many thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hi lostidentity! :smile:
lostidentity said:
My question is how would I make r the subject of the above equation?

not possible!

(unless you define the LHS to be f(r), in which case it's r = f-1(RHS) :wink:)

I'm wondering if there is another way to solve the ODE I gave in the previous post, i.e.

[tex] \left(1+2\frac{\Psi}{r}\right)\frac{dr}{dt} = \Phi[/tex]

Last edited:
lostidentity said:
I'm wondering if there is another way to solve the ODE I gave in the previous post, i.e.

[tex] \left(1+2\frac{\Psi}{r}\right)\frac{dr}{dt} = \Phi[/tex]

Check this very very carefully

[tex] r = 2 \Psi lambert\left(\frac{e^{\frac{t\Phi+c}{2 \Psi}}}{2 \Psi}\right)[/tex]

where c is some constant and where lambert gives the principle solution for w in z=w e^w.

When I substitute this back into the original ODE it seems to check, but do not trust this until you have triple checked it.

Last edited:

To make r the subject of the equation, we can first isolate the term containing r on one side of the equation. In this case, we can subtract 2\Psi\ln{r} from both sides, giving us:

r = \Phi{t} + r_0 - 2\Psi\ln{r}

Next, we can use the property of logarithms to rewrite the equation as:

r = \Phi{t} + r_0 - \ln{r^{2\Psi}}

Finally, we can raise both sides to the power of e to eliminate the logarithm and obtain r as the subject:

e^r = e^{\Phi{t} + r_0 - \ln{r^{2\Psi}}}

r = e^{\Phi{t} + r_0} \cdot e^{-\ln{r^{2\Psi}}}

r = e^{\Phi{t} + r_0} \cdot \frac{1}{r^{2\Psi}}

Therefore, r is the subject of the equation and can be expressed in terms of the other variables. It is important to note that there may be multiple ways to manipulate an equation to make a specific variable the subject, and the method used may depend on the specific equation and its properties.

1. How do you solve a re-arranging problem and make r the subject?

To solve a re-arranging problem and make r the subject, we need to isolate r on one side of the equation by performing inverse operations. This means that we need to undo any operations that are being performed on r, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division.

2. What is the first step in solving a re-arranging problem and making r the subject?

The first step in solving a re-arranging problem and making r the subject is to identify the operations that are being performed on r and determine which ones need to be undone. These operations will need to be performed in the reverse order of the original equation.

3. Can you provide an example of solving a re-arranging problem and making r the subject?

Yes, for example, if we have the equation 3r + 5 = 20, we need to undo the addition of 5 and the multiplication by 3 to isolate r. This can be done by first subtracting 5 from both sides of the equation, giving us 3r = 15. Then, we can divide both sides by 3 to get the final answer of r = 5.

4. What should we do if the equation contains fractions or decimals when solving a re-arranging problem?

If the equation contains fractions or decimals, we should first try to eliminate them by multiplying both sides of the equation by the least common multiple (LCM) of the denominators. Then, we can follow the same steps as before to isolate r.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving a re-arranging problem and making r the subject?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to perform the inverse operation on both sides of the equation, making errors in simplifying fractions or decimals, and forgetting to change the sign of the operation when moving it to the other side of the equation. It is always important to double check your work to avoid these mistakes.