1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RE:bright fringes

1. Dec 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Original Post:
    [post]1998976[/post]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2008 #2
    Re: bright fringes..

The link to your earlier post isn't working. Did you list relevant equations and show an attempt at a solution when you originally posted this problem?

4. Dec 13, 2008 #3

hmm,actually i just wanted to know how to figure out the m when i encounter this kind of questions...

eg of a relevant que is:Two slits separated by 0.250 mm produces an interference pattern in which the fifth dark band is located 12.8 cm from the central antinode when the screen is placed a distance of 8.2 meters away.

solution: because central antinode is m=o wright?then counted frm central antinode to 5th dark fringe..so it works out to be 4.5!so frm antinode m=0,go through m=1,2,3,4 when it reaches 4th fringes of bright fringe its m=4.thus que requires 5th dark fringe so the other half contributes which is 4th bright fringes + 1/2 bright fringe ans wll be 4.5,am i wright?if its not the way,could you please show me the exact way to determine m????thank a lot

5. Dec 13, 2008 #4

> am i wright.

You certainly are, Wilbur! The dark patches will be halfway between the light patches - so if you imagine/sketch the fringes then count along, you'll get m=4.5 for the 5th dark patch.

6. Dec 13, 2008 #5

oh,ok,i finally understand..thanks for your kind help,is much appreciated..btw,what's wilbur?haha,thanks a lot yea..what's your name?glad to have you to teach me..thanks..

7. Dec 14, 2008 #6

Wilbur and Orville Wright - the Wright brothers.

8. Dec 14, 2008 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: LOL

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?