Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: RE:bright fringes

1. Dec 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Original Post:
    [post]1998976[/post]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2008 #2
    Re: bright fringes..

The link to your earlier post isn't working. Did you list relevant equations and show an attempt at a solution when you originally posted this problem?

4. Dec 13, 2008 #3

hmm,actually i just wanted to know how to figure out the m when i encounter this kind of questions...

eg of a relevant que is:Two slits separated by 0.250 mm produces an interference pattern in which the fifth dark band is located 12.8 cm from the central antinode when the screen is placed a distance of 8.2 meters away.

solution: because central antinode is m=o wright?then counted frm central antinode to 5th dark fringe..so it works out to be 4.5!so frm antinode m=0,go through m=1,2,3,4 when it reaches 4th fringes of bright fringe its m=4.thus que requires 5th dark fringe so the other half contributes which is 4th bright fringes + 1/2 bright fringe ans wll be 4.5,am i wright?if its not the way,could you please show me the exact way to determine m????thank a lot

5. Dec 13, 2008 #4

> am i wright.

You certainly are, Wilbur! The dark patches will be halfway between the light patches - so if you imagine/sketch the fringes then count along, you'll get m=4.5 for the 5th dark patch.

6. Dec 13, 2008 #5

oh,ok,i finally understand..thanks for your kind help,is much appreciated..btw,what's wilbur?haha,thanks a lot yea..what's your name?glad to have you to teach me..thanks..

7. Dec 14, 2008 #6

Wilbur and Orville Wright - the Wright brothers.

8. Dec 14, 2008 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: LOL

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook