Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Re-editing quotes

1. Oct 17, 2015 #1
    If you want to edit your post, you can longer use quote or multi quote? You have to recreate the entire post from scratch? Am I right in this?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2015 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

When I want to add a quote to a post that I've just made:

1. Select the material that I want to quote, and click the "Reply" link that pops up. This puts the quote in the reply box at the bottom of the page.

2. In the reply box, select the quote (including the tags) and cut or copy it to the clipboard.

3. Click the "Edit" link on the post that I want to edit, then paste the quote into the editing box at the appropriate location.

4. Oct 17, 2015 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Nope. This is an example. I originally wrote "yes".

5. Oct 17, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

You cannot add new quotes directly into the edit box via the forum interface, but that is just a very abstract limitation. You can add them as jtbell described, and you can also add them manually (by typing the quote tags).

6. Oct 17, 2015 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Ah...I get it. I was thinking that you meant quoting locked the edit function off. Instead you're saying you cannot add a new quote to an old message. That's correct - but I wouldn't call it a bug.

7. Oct 17, 2015 #6
    Another abstract limitation seems to be the inability to edit a thread title. I made an embarrassing boo-boo in the computers and technology section and entitled a thread "Why do power supplies units blow" Obviously I meant to say "power supply units." I feverishly tried to edit it but to my horror there was no way to do this. Now my momentary lapse of reason will serve as a lasting legacy..

8. Oct 17, 2015 #7

mfb

2016 Award

You can report it, then a mentor will change it.
    Changing the title completely messes up the recognition of threads but fixing typos is no problem.

9. Oct 17, 2015 #8
    Cool. Thanks for fixing that for me!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook