1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Re-entering science after a long hiatus. Can't decide what to study.

1. Feb 22, 2012 #1
    I graduated about 5 years ago from a top 10 college in physics. My grades were alright but because of a variety of factors, I decided not to go into a related job. But recently I feel like I've reached a crossroads in my life and I want to challenge myself and give myself an fulfilling (and decently-paid) career. So I've decided I want to go back to school, most likely first to get a Masters and then a PhD (I doubt I could get accepted into a good PhD program in my current situation), with an ultimate goal of a research position (academic or otherwise).

Regardless of what specifically I'm researching, I want to be on the cutting edge. Naturally there are many areas of physics and engineering that I find fascinating and am considering studying. But what I've been really interested in lately is computer science, specifically artificial intelligence, graphics and computer vision, and imagine I would really love this kind of stuff as a research career. The thing is, I don't really have any background in computer science beyond being generally computer-savvy and somewhat of a linux hobbyist for a few years (now getting back into it).

So, although ultimately I have to answer this for myself, I guess what I'm asking is, should I take advantage of my physics background and go for an engineering degree, or should I go with what seems really neat and cool and pursue computer science? At 27 years old with little education in computer science, would I be hopelessly behind?

Or, perhaps what sounds the most interesting to me: are there any programs that take some branch of engineering - say for example nanotech - and combine it with strong computer science coursework? Some kind of program where, when I graduated it, I would be reasonably qualified to enter a PhD program in either computer science or engineering?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted