Calculate Force on Smaller Cylinder in Hydraulic Pump w/ 500kg Mass

• Thread starter sinedine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pump
In summary, we are given information about two connected cylinders with diameters of 50mm and 150mm, specific gravity of oil of 0.8, and a 500kg mass on top of the larger diameter cylinder. The question is asking for the force required on the smaller diameter to maintain the current level. Using the fact that the height of the oil is the same in both cylinders, we can determine that the pressure in both cylinders is equal. With this information, we can use the formula for force (F=mg) to find the force exerted by the 500kg mass. Then, using the formula for pressure (P=F/A), we can find the force on the smaller diameter cylinder. The specific gravity of
sinedine
these are following information given:
2 cylinders with diameters of 50mm and 150mm are connected.
specific gravity of oil=0.8
then on top of the cylinder with the larger diameter is a 500kg mass.
so the question is on what is the force required on the smaller diameter?
another information from the diagramm is that the height of oil is the same at both cylinders but the value is not given.

1st)since height of fluid is same i know p1=p2

2nd)i find force exerted by the 500kg mass:f=mg

3rd)i know force =pressure x area:so by rearranging i can find pressure.

i have a doubt over here:is area=pi x r^2 / or is area=surface area of cylinder(but i do not know height therefore i assume its t 1st 1)

4)since i now know how to find pressure:p1=p2, therefore i have just got to use the formula i used in step 3 again to find force @ smaller diameter

what worries me here what is purpose of the question giving the specific gravity of oil?i know i can find density of oil from there but to me its doesn't help me in solving the qns.i am worried i am going somewhere wrong in the question.thanks in advance for those who take their time off to help me in this question.
:shy:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sinedine said:
i have a doubt over here:is area=pi x r^2 / or is area=surface area of cylinder(but i do not know height therefore i assume its t 1st 1)

If the surface of the cylinder is a circle, they are the same. Are you given other information?

what worries me here what is purpose of the question giving the specific gravity of oil?i know

I don't see that the specific gravity of the oil has anything to do with these questions.

1: Correct
2: Is it 200 kg or 500 kg? F=mg is the correct way to go.
3: Correct again.
4: The area is the cross sectional area of the piston (circle).

There really is no need for the specific gravity. The only assumption you make is that the fluid is incompressible. The only other thing I would mention is that the actual question is phrased poorly and is a bit incomplete in terms of what you are looking for. "...what is the force required on the smaller diameter?" Force required to do what? Do the cylinders move at all or is the force required to maintain the current level of the cylinders?

EDIT: HallsofIvy beat me to it...

Last edited:
thanks to both u guys for clearing my doubts.basically the force at the smaller diameter is just to maintain the current level.sorry for not having that mentioned earlier.and also sorry for the part i made a typo on the mass.haha just got too excited i suppose.

1. How do you calculate the force on a smaller cylinder in a hydraulic pump with a 500kg mass?

To calculate the force on a smaller cylinder in a hydraulic pump with a 500kg mass, you will need to use the formula: Force = Pressure x Area. First, determine the pressure being applied to the larger cylinder. Next, calculate the area of the smaller cylinder. Lastly, multiply the pressure by the area to find the force on the smaller cylinder.

2. What is the formula for calculating force in a hydraulic system?

The formula for calculating force in a hydraulic system is: Force = Pressure x Area. This formula is based on Pascal's Law, which states that pressure applied to a confined fluid will be transmitted equally in all directions. In a hydraulic system, the force is multiplied through the use of different sized cylinders.

3. Can the force on the smaller cylinder be greater than the force on the larger cylinder in a hydraulic pump?

No, according to Pascal's Law, the force on the smaller cylinder cannot be greater than the force on the larger cylinder. This is because the pressure applied to the fluid in the larger cylinder is transmitted equally to the smaller cylinder, resulting in a force that is proportional to the difference in cylinder sizes.

4. How does the mass of the load affect the force in a hydraulic pump?

The mass of the load does not directly affect the force in a hydraulic pump, as it is the pressure and area that determine the force. However, a heavier load will require a higher pressure in order to lift it, resulting in a larger force on the smaller cylinder.

5. What is the relationship between pressure and force in a hydraulic system?

In a hydraulic system, the relationship between pressure and force is direct and proportional. This means that as pressure increases, so does the force. This is due to Pascal's Law, which states that pressure applied to a confined fluid will be transmitted equally in all directions.