Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Re: Mass ratios

1. Feb 17, 2005 #1
    Is there any reason why an electron is 1084(I think that's right) times smaller than the mass of a neutron. is there any mathematical or "physical" reason why this works for atoms and if so what would be the consequences of a proton having half that mass but with the same ratio to an electron or indeed having a different ratio? Would there be any real world implications or is the ratio important rather than the masses?

Is this a 'it just is' answer question?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2005 #2

arivero

Gold Member

It is an unaswered question. Wilzeck's "Mount Planck" is a good sketch of the issue.

4. Feb 17, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Compare the mass of an electron with the masses of up and down quarks and tell me whether the ratio is that "impressive"...

BTW:~1039.6 is the number you were supposed to write...

Daniel.

5. Feb 17, 2005 #4
    The reason I asked was?

At work I'm talking to a guy who thinks he know's why it is the masses are of that ratio, so I thought I might try and find out if anyone else had any insight, he's a clever guy but he won't tell me his ideas, he's a Dr on a mission, he'll be gratifeid to know that the science community know's not why, not surprisingly; I thought I'd find out if anyone else had approached this problem, I see that they haven't, good I'd love to work with a Nobel prize winner:) just kidding but he thinks he's close to finding the answer, if he is great but I doubt it; thanks for replying to the post anyway,all answers greatfuly recieved

6. Feb 22, 2005 #5

arivero

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?