1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Re-Parameterizing a Curve

1. Nov 30, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ##C(t) = t =it^2##, where ##-2 \le t \le 2##. Re-parametrize the curve from ##t## to ##\tau## by the following transformation: ##\tau = \frac{t}{2}##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So, the variable ##\tau## is half of every value ##t## can be. Therefore, I have construct a ##\tau##-interval from the ##t##-interval.

##\frac{-2}{2} \le \tau \le \frac{2}{2} \implies -1 \le \tau \le 1##

So, ##C(\tau) = \tau + i \tau^2##.

One, I am not even certain that this is correct; two, this is absolutely unpalatable. I am having a hard time justifying every step.

At first I thought I would just solve for tau, and substitute the variable in:

##C(2 \tau) = 2 \tau + i (2 \tau)^2##.

But how would I find the interval for ##\tau##? Why would I even want to? Does ##\tau## and ##t## being related by the equation ##\tau = \frac{t}{2}## imply that there intervals are somehow related? How so? Would I think of ##\tau = \frac{t}{2}## as a function, whose domain is ##-2 \le t \le 2##, and the range of this function would be the ##\tau## interval? If so, why?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should have gone with your first thought and just solved for tau and substituted. You can also think of ##\tau = t/2## as a function in the way you mention and the range is the interval for ##\tau##. This gives you the same curve ##C##.

4. Nov 30, 2014 #3
    Okay, but how I find the ##\tau##-interval? What justifies me dividing the endpoints of ##-2 \le t \le 2## by ##2##, and then calling this the ##\tau## interval?

5. Nov 30, 2014 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are reparametrising with ##\tau = t/2## so any value of ##t## is going to correspond to a value of ##\tau## which is ##t/2##, in particular the endpoints.

6. Nov 30, 2014 #5
    So, I can regard the codomain (range) of the function ##\tau = \frac{t}{2}## as the ##\tau##-interval?

I have another question which relates to arcs. I was asked to calculate the length of the arc ##C(t) = 1 + it^2##, where ##-2 \le t \le 2##, the length being defined as ##\int_a^b |z'(t)|dt##. I got zero, which was slightly disconcerting. Is this really a good definition of length if it gives an answer of zero? Shouldn't this actually be referred to as displacement of a particle?

7. Nov 30, 2014 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It should not give you zero since ##|z'(t)| \geq 0## - unless ##z## is a constant you should get a positive number.

8. Nov 30, 2014 #7
    ##z(t) = 1 + it^2 \implies z'(t) = 2it##

##\int_{-2}^2 |2it| dt = \int_{-2}^2 2t dt = t^2 \bigg|_{-2}^2 = (2)^2 - (-2)^2 = 0##

9. Nov 30, 2014 #8

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##|2it|## is not equal to ##2t## when ##t## is negative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted