Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Re: Permanent Magnets

1. Jul 18, 2006 #1
    Hi all,
    I have this simple question that I never really understood. A permanent magnet generates a magnetic field around itself. Is there an electromagnetic wave propagation associated with this permanent magnet? If so, what is the frequency of the wave?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2006 #2
    Under current knowlege, the frequency is zero(it does not alternate with a permanent magnet) but the propagation of the magnetic field is at the speed of light.
  4. Jul 18, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The field is static and unchanging (magnetostatic) if the magnet is not moved. If you begin shaking it, then the field undergoes an oscillation with the frequency of the shaking.

- Warren
  5. Jul 18, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In other words, a "wave" occurs when the field changes. A regular change in a magnetic field causes a regularly changing electric field which produces a regularly changing magnetic field which produces .... (that's why the waves are called electromagnetic waves). With a permanent magnet, there is no changing field and so no wave.
  6. Jul 21, 2006 #5
    Re: Shielding Magnetic Fields of Permenant Magnets

Hi all,

In one of the books I'm reading, it says that shields are only used in the presence of alternating fields. However, in some websites, I see people using magnetic shields for permanent magnets which has a magnetostatic field. I ran some simulations, and the filed of a permanent magnet seems to be shielded by a layer of nickel. So, who's telling the truth?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?