What is the Meaning of Re(function)?

• Thread starter nkk2008
  • Start date
In summary, Re(function) stands for the real part of a complex function. It is sometimes used in equations to designate taking the real part of a complex number. This is also known as the script R. It is a basic concept in mathematics and is used in various equations and functions involving complex numbers.
nkk2008
I have seen the symbol Re(function) used. What does the Re stand for? I thought it was the Riemann zeta function, but I am pretty sure I am wrong (that is a lower case zeta...obviously). Is it the same as the script R?

I know this is a basic question, but I could not find documents online that clearly stated what Re was.

Thanks
Nkk

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm no mathematician, but Re(z) stands for the real part of z. (Relevant where z is complex.)

Im(z) would be the imaginary part.

nkk2008 said:
I have seen the symbol Re(function) used. What does the Re stand for? I thought it was the Riemann zeta function, but I am pretty sure I am wrong (that is a lower case zeta...obviously). Is it the same as the script R?

I know this is a basic question, but I could not find documents online that clearly stated what Re was.

Thanks
Nkk

Sometimes it is used to designate taking the real part of a complex number. Does that fit the context, or is that too simplistic?

EDIT -- Oops, Doc beat me on the tie!

Last edited:
Thank you both. Now that you both said it, it seems really obvious.

The equation I was looking at was:
f07592ed67ae0ecb6ebb466182fcfbde.png

Taking the real part makes sense, and fits well.

Thanks again,
Nkk

Last edited by a moderator:

The symbol Re(function) typically represents the real part of a complex-valued function. In mathematics, complex numbers have both a real and imaginary component. The real part of a complex number is the portion that lies on the horizontal axis, while the imaginary part lies on the vertical axis. The symbol Re(function) is used to denote the real part of a function, which is the value of the function when the imaginary component is equal to zero. This can be useful in analyzing the behavior of a function in the real plane. It is not the same as the script R, which is often used to represent the set of real numbers. I hope this helps clarify the meaning of Re(function).

What is the Meaning of Re(function)?

The meaning of Re(function) refers to the mathematical concept of the real part of a complex function. It represents the portion of the function that produces real values, as opposed to the imaginary part which produces complex values.

Why is Re(function) important?

Re(function) is important because it helps to understand and analyze complex functions, particularly in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It allows us to isolate the real component of a function and make calculations and predictions based on that component alone.

How is Re(function) calculated?

Re(function) is calculated by taking the real part of a complex function, which involves finding the cosine of the angle of the function's complex number. The result is a value that represents the real component of the function.

What is the difference between Re(function) and Im(function)?

The difference between Re(function) and Im(function) is that Re(function) represents the real component of a complex function, while Im(function) represents the imaginary component. In other words, Re(function) produces real values while Im(function) produces complex values.

How is Re(function) used in real-world applications?

Re(function) is used in various real-world applications, such as signal processing, control systems, and electrical engineering. It helps in analyzing and predicting the behavior of complex systems and signals, making it a valuable tool in many different industries.