1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Re-taking courses not offered at college?

1. Mar 16, 2012 #1
    A couple years ago when I first went to college, I attended a private Christian school and ended up failing 6 classes there in my freshman year, all related to Christianity (i.e. classes on the foundations of being a Christian, how to be a better Christian, learning about the school's denomination of Christianity in general, etc.; basically the core classes required of the school's definition of a Christian faith).

I have applied to go back to community college now, and I had considered leaving out this transcript but I didn't want this to come back and bite me in the rear and get me in trouble during my education so I included the transcript, which means I have several 0.0 GPAs being averaged into my cumulative overall GPA which I fear will affect my scholarships in the future (some of them require a minimum GPA of like 3.5) and especially my graduate school prospectives.

I haven't been formerly accepted yet (this community college isn't open-registration because it's part of CUNY) so I haven't spoken with an advisor yet, but can anyone give me any advice in advance about how I should go about discussing my failed classes since they are not available to retake at this school (or mostly any school around here, I guess)? Or is my only option to take as many classes as possible to get my GPA up in order to get scholarships and accepted into special programs that I am interested in?

Edit: Sorry, I just realized this post is almost out of context with this forum, so I'd like to add that I want to go into the studies of Physics (almost a given) but I would like the 0.0 GPAs removed and thought re-taking those classes would replace the grades but not sure if all schools offer that option.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted