Reaction between ketone and ester

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the Claisen Condensation mechanism starts with the abstraction of alpha-hydrogen from ketone but this doesn't make sense to me, why not ester? More resonating structures are formed when hydrogen is abstracted from ester.
Saitama

Homework Statement

(see attachment)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It looks to me a type of Claisen condensation but i did not realize it until i checked my book.
Before checking the book, i tried to do it by thinking on what is given in the question. We have a ethoxide ion here which acts as a base. It will probably abstract an α-hydrogen but from where? We have a ketone and an ester and both have acidic α-hydrogens. Please help me in understanding that from where the α-hydrogen is abstracted.

I have one more question (this may be a stupid one like the one above), can ethoxide ion directly attack carbonyl group present in any of the reactant? This would lead to breaking of double between carbon and oxygen towards oxygen but if i continue with this, i reach nowhere to the answer.

Attachments

• claisen.png
    claisen.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 591
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

I was taught that you should determine which alpha hydrogen is the most acidic.

If using NaOC2H5 to attack a carbonyl group gets you nowhere, you shouldn't do it. What is the 1st thing that happens in a Claisen Condensation mechanism?

chemisttree said:
I was taught that you should determine which alpha hydrogen is the most acidic.

What i think is that α-hydrogen gets abstracted from the ester because of more resonating structures formed after its abstraction. Is this right?

Running it with the ester as the reacting enolate gives me some weird molecule that I don't know what to do with. If only that ring was aromatic. Sorry I'm unable to be of assistance.

According to me, the answer should be C. I hope that to be right, considering I read Claisen Condensation just 5 minutes ago.

Indeed, the answer is C, the mechanism for Claisen condesation starts with the abstraction of alpha-hydrogen from ketone but this doesn't make sense to me, why not ester? More resonating structures are formed when hydrogen is abstracted from ester. :confused:

I got answer C also. Wouldn't that require using the carbonyl and methyl on the aliphatic ring to act as the enolate? Doesn't the aliphatic ring provide no resonance since each site has a full octet and cannot accommodate the lone electron pair on the ring?

Pranav-Arora said:
More resonating structures are formed when hydrogen is abstracted from ester. :confused:

I don't think so. The oxygen in -O-Et is no way involved in resonance if your notions are as such. I followed the mechanism given at Wikipedia and got the answer.

AGNuke said:
The oxygen in -O-Et is no way involved in resonance...

Why? :confused:

Try drawing the resonance structure. There is no "significant" resonance, I should've added, at that O atom.

AGNuke said:
Try drawing the resonance structure. There is no "significant" resonance, I should've added, at that O atom.

Agreed but what about the inductive effect of O in OEt? Doesn't that play any role?

chemisttree said:
Try this.

Thanks chemisttree, that's exactly what i am looking for. :smile:

1. What is the reaction between a ketone and an ester?

The reaction between a ketone and an ester is a nucleophilic addition reaction, also known as the Claisen condensation. In this reaction, the carbonyl group of the ketone is attacked by the nucleophilic oxygen of the ester, forming a tetrahedral intermediate. This intermediate then undergoes a dehydration reaction to form a β-keto ester product.

2. What are the conditions required for a ketone and ester reaction to occur?

The reaction between a ketone and an ester typically requires a strong base, such as sodium or potassium hydroxide, and a polar, aprotic solvent, such as dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO). The reaction is usually carried out at a slightly elevated temperature, around 50-60 degrees Celsius.

3. What is the purpose of this type of reaction?

The reaction between a ketone and an ester is commonly used in organic synthesis to create new carbon-carbon bonds. It allows for the formation of β-keto esters, which can then be further manipulated to produce a variety of useful molecules, such as pharmaceuticals.

4. What are the potential side reactions in a ketone and ester reaction?

One potential side reaction in a ketone and ester reaction is the formation of an enolate intermediate, which can react with the ester to form a different product. Another possible side reaction is the formation of a dimer or trimer of the starting ketone or ester, which can decrease the yield of the desired product.

5. Are there any limitations to this type of reaction?

One limitation of the reaction between a ketone and an ester is the necessity for at least one of the reactants to have an α-hydrogen. This means that only certain types of ketones and esters can participate in this reaction. Additionally, the reaction may be slower or less efficient when the ketone or ester contains bulky substituents or multiple functional groups.