1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reaction force in a beam

1. Mar 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Screen Shot 2016-03-27 at 5.21.42 pm.png
    Calculate the reaction force at A?
    2. Relevant equations
    ΣMb = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    As there is a pin joint at B it is possible to consider the bar only from A-B.
    From here I applied
    ΣMb = 0
    120 + 20*2 + Ay*4 = 0
    This gives Ay = -40kn
    Also since there are no forces in the x direction Ax = 0
    and Hence A = -40kn or 40n downwards
    However this is wrong. I am not sure what I am doing wrong unless it is something that the sum of the y forces don't equal 0, but I think there would be a force at By= 60kn up to combat this.
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

120kN.m is a moment about A isn't it?
    What is the reasoning that suggests that you need only consider the A-B length?
    The pin connection at B does not stop rotation about B caused by the force distribution on B-E - just prevents translation of that point.

4. Mar 27, 2016 #3
    So would the FBD look like this:
    Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 12.40.31 pm.png
    The question says consider the reactions at A and D to be rollers, so thus there is no horizontal force

5. Mar 27, 2016 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The pin at point B can develop a force, but it cannot sustain a moment. That's what's missing from your FBD above.

6. Mar 27, 2016 #5
    So would I add a vertical and horizontal force at point B and then use the equations of equilibrium to solve?

7. Mar 27, 2016 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can add a horizontal force at pin B, but it looks like all of the applied loads are vertical.

8. Mar 27, 2016 #7
    So you're saying it is there, but it would just be zero. Also i'm assuming then that Ex would be 0?
    If i do that won't I end up with more unknowns than equations, in which case it would be unsolvable.

9. Mar 27, 2016 #8

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's unlikely, since there are only two supports for the entire beam.

BTW, the beam is only resting against the wall at E. It can't develop a moment at that location, only an axial force.

10. Mar 27, 2016 #9
    So would the FBD look more like this:

Attached Files:

11. Mar 28, 2016 #10

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that's more like it.

12. Mar 28, 2016 #11

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In my estimation, I believe that the wording in this problem is not very good. When it says "resting against a wall", I think it implies "resting atop a wall", otherwise, with the hinge at B, the beam would be unstable.

The force from the pin at B is internal, so when drawing the FBD of the entire beam system, that reaction doesn't enter into the equilibrium equation. I would proceeded by isolating AB first, but you have to be careful with your plus and minus signs, and interpretation of them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted