Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reaction force in ANSYS

1. Oct 28, 2016 #1
    Hey,

I have a simple ANSYS model shown in link:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104865119/hand_calc.PNG [Broken].

Ansys reaction force in z axis is +121 N and -121 N. Can someone clarify how do you
    get to this result using hand calculations?

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I need some description of what the diagram represents. It looks like a block somehow subjected to a z-axis torque of 100Nm, while restrained at two points 1.1m apart. But in that case the restraining forces would obviously be 100/1.1N, or about 91N.

4. Oct 28, 2016 #3
    Using the global coordinate system found in the picture the moment is about the y axis, My = 100Nm.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104865119/hand_calc_2.PNG [Broken]

5. Oct 28, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ok, but same result. 91N, as you say.

6. Oct 29, 2016 #5
    Does anyone have an idea what could cause this discrepancy (121 vs 91 N) between hand calc and Ansys?

7. Oct 29, 2016 #6

JBA

The problem appears to me to be an apparent offset of the point at which you are applying the moment from the centerline of the shaft (for which you are showing no dimension). Since there is no x restraint at moment application point then the moment due to that offset must be carried by the shaft as opposed to being a x direction vector force on the shaft restraints.

8. Oct 29, 2016 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Are you suggesting we should take the forces applied at the shaft end points as being normal to the line joining them to the torque axis?
    That does not seem to help. It makes the forces less, not more.

9. Oct 30, 2016 #8
    I made the simple model even simpler using even numbers in order to find out if dimensions can somehow explain the difference.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104865119/ansys2.PNG [Broken]

Did also a parametric study in Ansys and found out that as the length R decreases, the relative difference between results decreases.

10. Oct 30, 2016 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I have no idea what ANSYS is. Can you vary other parameters to get a clue as to what affects it? Can you get more precision out of it - the graph is not very smooth.

11. Oct 30, 2016 #10

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pinned v fully fixed .

12. Oct 30, 2016 #11
    Thanks for the answer. In hand calculations I assumed only forces in the ends of the shaft but for it to be fully fixed there should also be a moment in each end.
    By allowing the computer model's surfaces to rotate around the vertical axis, representing a pinned support, I got the same result.

13. Nov 2, 2016 #12
    A continuation to this problem. I drew the correct FBD of the system, shown in the link:

http://imgur.com/a/AkTci

How is this statically indeterminate system solved? My first guess was to split it into beams which are table cases.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted