Analysis of Person Diving into Pool w/ Uniform Horizontal Beam

In summary, an analysis of a person diving into a pool with a uniform horizontal beam shows that the beam can significantly affect the diver's trajectory and form. The beam creates a visual reference point for the diver, allowing them to maintain a horizontal body position and control their entry into the water. However, the beam can also cause the diver to overcompensate and alter their body position, leading to a less graceful dive. Overall, the presence of a uniform horizontal beam adds an extra challenge and element of control to diving into a pool.
ana111790

Homework Statement

An 80kg person is preparing to dive into a pool. The diving board is a uniform horizontal beam that is hinged to the ground at point A and supported by a frictionless roller at D. B is the point directly under the center of gravity of the person. The distance between A to B is l=6m, and the distance between A to D is d=2m. Note the 1/3 of the board is located between A and B and 2/3 between D and B. You can assume that the board consists of two parts with two different weights connected at D.

If the diving board has a total weight of 1500 N determine the reactions on the beam at A and D.

Picture:
[PLAIN]http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/3036/drawinge.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum Fy[/tex]=0
[tex]\sum Fx[/tex]=0
[tex]\sum M[/tex]=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the only equation that can be used here is [tex]\sum Fy[/tex]=0.

Forces that act at point A is only 1/2 of 1/3 of the total weight of the board, (I multiplied by 1/2 since that 1/3 of the weight is shared by points A and D)

So for [tex]\sum[/tex]= 1/2 * 1/3 * -Wboard + Ron A = 0
To solve for Ron A = 250 N (up)
This is however a wrong answer. The RA should be 2318 N (down) according to the answer in the book.

Forces that act at point D are 1/2 of the 1/3 of the Weight of the board, 2/3 of the weight of the board and the weight of the person.
So for [tex]\sum[/tex]= (1/2 * 1/3 * Wboard) + (2/3 Wboard) + ( Wperson) + Ron D = 0
To solve for Ron D = - (-250 N - 1000 N - 784 N) = 2034 (up).
This answer is also wrong, correct answer should be 4602 N (up)I am obviously missing something major here since the answers are so off. What am I doing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't make any assumptions about how the weight of the board will be divided up between the supports.
(1) The weight of an object--such as the board--can be considered to act through its center of mass.
(2) Label all the forces acting on the board.
(3) Use the torque condition for equilibrium.

Doc Al said:
Don't make any assumptions about how the weight of the board will be divided up between the supports.
(1) The weight of an object--such as the board--can be considered to act through its center of mass.
(2) Label all the forces acting on the board.
(3) Use the torque condition for equilibrium.

[PLAIN]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9051/drawing2n.jpg

Your analysis of the weights is good. Your diagram needs to show the upward force on the board at D and the downward force at A. Call those forces FD and FA (or whatever you like--just give them names).

I don't understand your torque equations. What are you using as your pivot in each case?

(M stands for 'moment'--another term for torque--not momentum!)

Doc Al said:
Your analysis of the weights is good. Your diagram needs to show the upward force on the board at D and the downward force at A. Call those forces FD and FA (or whatever you like--just give them names).

I don't understand your torque equations. What are you using as your pivot in each case?

(M stands for 'moment'--another term for torque--not momentum!)

(I meant to write moment not momentum, sorry for the confusion)

[PLAIN]http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/8467/drawing2t.jpg

For the first equation (Sum of torque on A) I am using point A as a pivot (so the whole weight of the board is the force and the radius is the whole length of the board, same for weight of person)
For the second equation (Sum of torque on D) I am using point D as a pivot, so 1/3 weight of board with radius 2 m (cw) and then 2/3 of the weight of the board with radius 4, and weight of person with radius 4m (ccw).

ana111790 said:
For the first equation (Sum of torque on A) I am using point A as a pivot (so the whole weight of the board is the force and the radius is the whole length of the board, same for weight of person)
Your diagram shows 5 forces. If you want to treat the weight of the board as a single force, that's fine--where would that force act?

Going by your diagram, that equation will show the torques about A for all 5 forces. (Some of the torques will be trivial, of course.)

For the second equation (Sum of torque on D) I am using point D as a pivot, so 1/3 weight of board with radius 2 m (cw) and then 2/3 of the weight of the board with radius 4, and weight of person with radius 4m (ccw).
Here I expect to see the torques about D for all forces. Careful that you use the proper distance from the pivot for each force. The W1 and W2 forces are in the middle of their sections.

Solved it! Thank you so much for your help.

1. How does the horizontal beam affect the person diving into the pool?

The horizontal beam helps to create a uniform trajectory for the person diving into the pool. This means that the person will enter the water at a consistent angle and speed, reducing the risk of injury.

2. What factors can influence the analysis of a person diving into a pool with a horizontal beam?

Factors such as the height of the diving board, the weight and height of the person diving, the angle of the beam, and the distance between the beam and the pool can all affect the analysis of the dive.

3. Is the analysis of a person diving into a pool with a horizontal beam accurate?

The accuracy of the analysis depends on the accuracy of the measurements and calculations used. With precise measurements and proper calculations, the analysis can be highly accurate.

4. How can the analysis of a person diving into a pool with a horizontal beam be used in real-life situations?

The analysis can be used to ensure the safety and efficiency of diving events, such as in competitive diving or recreational diving at public pools. It can also be used in the design and construction of pools and diving boards to optimize the diving experience.

5. What are some potential applications of the analysis of a person diving into a pool with a horizontal beam in the field of physics?

The analysis can be applied in the study of fluid dynamics and the laws of motion, as well as in understanding the effects of gravity and air resistance on an object in motion. It can also be used to demonstrate the principles of energy conservation and the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration.