Reaction kinetics for ammonia

In summary, it is complicated to find kinetics data for a reaction like this, and conversion rates depend on a lot of factors.
Thermo
I need to design an ammonia production process but I can't find the kinetic info from the articles online. The catalyst will be iron. Can somebody explain how to find kinetics data and conversion rate? I found some articles but there was no conversion info on them.

Engineering news on Phys.org
And how can I find a detailed process information of KAAP Kellogg modern process with Ruthenium catalyst? It's quite similar to the Kellogg process with the iron catalysts one. However I need to know what changes with the modern one.

It is complicated because the kinetics will depend on the quantity, quality and state of the catalyst. There won't be a rate constant for "catalysed ammonia synthesis", it will be specific to your system. Moreover, the reaction is an equilibrium, so the best way to increase yield may be via the pressure and temperature, not the catalyst. This might be helpful: http://pubman.mpdl.mpg.de/pubman/item/escidoc:736938/component/escidoc:932945/Ammonia+Synthesis.pdf. I don't think it gives you the numbers you want, but I don't think those numbers exist as such; see e.g. the turnover rates in Table 1, dependent on particle size.

Likes Thermo and BvU
mjc123 said:
It is complicated because the kinetics will depend on the quantity, quality and state of the catalyst. There won't be a rate constant for "catalysed ammonia synthesis", it will be specific to your system. Moreover, the reaction is an equilibrium, so the best way to increase yield may be via the pressure and temperature, not the catalyst. This might be helpful: http://pubman.mpdl.mpg.de/pubman/item/escidoc:736938/component/escidoc:932945/Ammonia+Synthesis.pdf. I don't think it gives you the numbers you want, but I don't think those numbers exist as such; see e.g. the turnover rates in Table 1, dependent on particle size.
I see but our professors want us to find an article that explains the reaction kinetics and conversion. We can't start doing mass balance because of the lack of information about the conversion (we do not need the kinetics right now). But thanks for the the source. It seems like a useful article.

1. What is reaction kinetics for ammonia?

Reaction kinetics for ammonia refers to the study of the rate at which ammonia is produced or consumed in a chemical reaction. It involves the measurement and analysis of the factors that affect the rate of ammonia formation, such as temperature, concentration, and catalysts.

2. Why is reaction kinetics for ammonia important?

Understanding reaction kinetics for ammonia is important for various industrial and environmental applications. It allows us to optimize the production of ammonia, which is used in fertilizers, explosives, and various other products. It also helps us to understand and control the formation of ammonia in different chemical processes, such as in the atmosphere or in wastewater treatment.

3. What factors affect the reaction kinetics for ammonia?

The rate of ammonia formation or consumption is affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, concentration of reactants, presence of catalysts, and surface area of reactants. Changes in any of these factors can significantly impact the rate of the reaction.

4. How is the reaction rate of ammonia determined?

The reaction rate of ammonia can be determined by measuring the change in concentration of reactants or products over time. This can be done using various experimental techniques, such as spectrophotometry or titration. The collected data can then be used to calculate the rate of the reaction at different conditions.

5. How can the reaction kinetics for ammonia be controlled?

The reaction kinetics for ammonia can be controlled by adjusting the factors that affect the reaction rate, such as temperature, concentration, and catalysts. By optimizing these conditions, we can increase or decrease the rate of ammonia formation or consumption according to our desired outcome.