1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reaction Mechanism Predictions

1. Aug 27, 2011 #1
    A chemical Reaction A-->B is carried out in a closed vessel. The following data are taken for the concentration of A, Ca (g/L), as a function of time, t(min), from the start of the reaction. A proposed reaction mechanism predicts that Ca and t should be related by the expression

ln (Ca-Cae)/(Ca0-Cae)=-kt

where k is the reaction rate constant

Do the data (see attached file) supports this prediction? If so, determine the value of k. (Use a semilog plot in your solution for this problem)

Can someone explain to me what using a semilog plot means? And, maybe give me a hint on how to start this problem please.... Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2011 #2
    A [2-D] semilog plot has a logarithmic scale for only one axis.

To start the problem, I would exponentiate to get rid of the logarithm. Re-arange to solve for CA, and determine if the function's initial value and the value it approaches agree with the plot.

You should know what the plot of [itex]f(t) = Ce^{-kt} + D[/itex] would look like.

Know that if k is positive, the term [itex] Ce^{-kt} [/itex] will approach zero as t becomes larger.

You should be able to indentify (in terms of C and D):

• the value of this function when t = 0
    • the value it approaches as t becomes larger

4. Sep 4, 2011 #3
    Thank you so much for your help!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook