1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reaction mechanism

1. Jun 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Draw a step-by-step mechanism using curly arrows for the following transformation. You do not have to worry about stereochemistry of the final product.

2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution

[​IMG]

So the reaction is shown in the diagram in the first line. Here's what I did:

1. Electrons in the O-H bond move toward the oxygen, and hydrogen gets detached, forming a negative charge on the oxygen
    2. pi electrons from the double bond attack a H+ (from the acid) and forms a carbocation
    3. The negative oxygen's electrons are attracted to the carbocation centre and draws the molecule into a ring formation

Does the mechanism make sense? Are there any other better ways of doing it? I know that there's another mechanism that involves the water molecule coming in, but I'm not sure about it.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2008 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

How likely is the presence of O- if it happens in the sulfuric acid?

4. Jun 11, 2008 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When I examine reaction mechanisms and am given a catalyst (like H2SO4 in this case), I try to use it in the first step. In this case H+ is the catalyst.

5. Jun 11, 2008 #4
    Hm... I attempted it again, using your suggestions, and here's my result.

[​IMG]

Does that look better?

6. Jun 11, 2008 #5

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's close. I wouldn't have lost the primary alcohol. If the alcohol were labelled (as O-18), the label would probably be found in the product.
    Also, the sulfuric acid probably adds across the double bond in Markovnikov fashion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?