Why don't acids react with neutral salts in solution?

In summary, my teacher told me that acids do not react with neutral salts. This is because when both are dissolved in water and both completely dissociate, there is no net ionic reaction. Furthermore, when an acid reacts with a basic salt, the most common outcome is a mixture of ions. However, this situation becomes more complicated when there are weak acids/bases involved. The acid-base equilibrium comes into play to determine what happens in these cases.
Vatsal Goyal
Hi
I am new to the concept of neutralization.
My teacher told me that acids do not react with neutral salts.
I want to know why not. If both are dissolved in water and both completely dissociate, why can't the ions of acid and salt exchange and perform a double displacement reaction. Moreover I have seen a reaction in one of my books - NaCl + H2SO4 produces HCl and Na2SO4

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Do you know what the net ionic reaction is? What are spectator ions? Have you learned what the chemical equilibrium is? It is much easier to understand what is going on in these terms.

In short: when you mix solutions of HCl and Na2SO4 all you get is a mixture of ions, everything is still dissociated and no reaction takes place. Such a solution doesn't differ from the solution prepared by mixing NaCl and H2SO4.

Reaction you have seen in your book requires concentrated sulfuric acid and solid NaCl - that's quite a different situation. Besides, the most important reason why it happens is that the HCl is gaseous and volatile and can leave the reaction mixture. When you add concentrated HCl to Na2SO4 basically nothing happens.

Likes Vatsal Goyal
Thank you for clearing my doubt.
Borek said:
In short: when you mix solutions of HCl and Na2SO4 all you get is a mixture of ions, everything is still dissociated and no reaction takes place. Such a solution doesn't differ from the solution prepared by mixing NaCl and H2SO4
Just one more thing.
What is happening in the solution when an acid reacts with a basic salt?

Borek said:
In short: when you mix solutions of HCl and Na2SO4 all you get is a mixture of ions, everything is still dissociated and no reaction takes place. Such a solution doesn't differ from the solution prepared by mixing NaCl and H2SO4.
Can we say that MOST acid and neutral salt reactions would have a similar situation?

To be precise: most salts of strong acids and strong bases will behave this way when mixed with strong acids.

When there are weak acids/bases involved things become more complicated, that's where the acid base equilibrium comes into play.

Likes symbolipoint and Vatsal Goyal
Borek said:
To be precise: most salts of strong acids and strong bases will behave this way when mixed with strong acids.

When there are weak acids/bases involved things become more complicated, that's where the acid base equilibrium comes into play.
Okay got it. Thank you so much!

Some acids can react with some neutral salts, but then the reaction is not about exchange of ##H^+## ions. For example, mix nitric acid with potassium iodide (a neutral salt), and you get elemental iodine (##I_2##) and nitrogen oxides or ##NO_{2}^{-}## ions or something like that. In that case it's an oxidation-reduction reaction taking place.

Which is why I wrote

Borek said:
most salts of strong acids and strong bases

I didn't want to muddy the watter with unnecessary details.

Vatsal Goyal said:
My teacher told me that acids do not react with neutral salts.

Just to make sure that we don't talk at cross-purposes: Did he speak about salts or solutions of salts? Most of the posts are about solutions.

DrStupid said:
Just to make sure that we don't talk at cross-purposes: Did he speak about salts or solutions of salts? Most of the posts are about solutions.
yes, i meant solution only. Sorry for not mentioning. :)

What is the reaction between acids and salts?

The reaction between acids and salts is an acid-base reaction, also known as a neutralization reaction. This occurs when an acid reacts with a base to form a salt and water as products.

What is the role of acids and salts in chemical reactions?

Acids and salts play important roles in chemical reactions. Acids can donate protons and increase the concentration of hydrogen ions, while salts can dissociate into ions and contribute to the overall ionic strength of a solution.

What factors influence the reaction between acids and salts?

The reaction between acids and salts can be influenced by factors such as concentration of the reactants, temperature, and presence of a catalyst. These factors can affect the rate and direction of the reaction.

What are the products of the reaction between acids and salts?

The products of the reaction between acids and salts are a salt and water. The type of salt produced depends on the acid and base used in the reaction.

What are some examples of reactions between acids and salts?

Some common examples of reactions between acids and salts include the reaction between hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide, which produces sodium chloride (table salt) and water. Another example is the reaction between sulfuric acid and potassium hydroxide, which produces potassium sulfate and water.