Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reaction of an organic acid with aluminium phosphate

1. Apr 15, 2005 #1
    Hi

Does anyone know the reaction of an organic acid (carboxylic acid) with aluminium phosphate ([itex]AlPO_4[/itex])? If yes, please do let me know.

Thanks and cheers
    Vivek

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2005 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Do you mean any specific reaction, or just acid/base/complexation equilbrium?

In the first case - I know nothing, but my lack of knowledge outperforms my knowdledge :)

In the second case - most carboxylic acids have some complexing ability and they are weak acids, so they will change pH of the solution and they will create some complexes with Al. That, together with the amphoteric Al characteristics, can create quite complex situation in the solution. Not that is simple at the start - Al3+ complexed by OH- and weak phosphoric acid... what a soup :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  4. Apr 15, 2005 #3
    Hey Borek

Thanks for the reply. Well, yes I should've been more specific. What happens when you heat an organic (carboxylic) acid with aluminium phosphate at 700 degrees celcius?

Thanks and cheers
    Vivek

5. Apr 15, 2005 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I would say no carboxylic acid will survive such heating - regardless of the presence of aluminum phosphate. So basically I would expect you have to deal not with a carboxylic acid, but with the products of decomposition. But I am only guessing here.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  6. Apr 15, 2005 #5

movies

Science Advisor

Yeah, at that temperature you will probably drive off CO2 from the acid and perhaps end up with alkyl aluminum species plus phosphates.

7. Jun 8, 2005 #6
    Actually it turns out that a ketene intermediate will be formed (according to my teacher).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?