Reaction of Oxides: Which Gives Mixture of 2 Acids?

• Thread starter leena19
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the question asks which oxide reacts with water to produce a mixture of two acids. The possible oxides are CO2, NO2, SO2, P2O5, and ClO2. The answer is most likely NO2, which would produce nitrous and nitric acid upon hydrolysis. The other oxides would produce a single acid each, except for ClO2 which does not undergo hydrolysis.
leena19

Homework Statement

Which of the following oxides reacts with water giving a mixture of 2 acids?
(1) CO2
(2) NO2
(3) SO2
(4) P2O5
(5) ClO2

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that,
CO2 would give carbonic acid only,
NO2 would probably give nitrous + nitric acid(so this could be the answer?),
SO2 would give sulphurous acid,
P2O5 would give phosphuric(5) acid
for ClO2,I don't know how it reacts with water.would we get HClO or/& HClO2 or/& HClO3 or/& even HClO4?

Hope someone can help me determine the answer.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right about CO2, SO2 and P2O5, seems like it is a time to check the book or visit library to find details about ClO2 and NO2 reactions with water.

Yes,how silly of me,i found the reactions easily on the web
Although ClO2 is highly soluble in water,it doesn't hydrolise in water,
and NO2 upon hydrolysis,would give NO + HNO3

Thank you

1. What are oxides?

Oxides are compounds that contain oxygen and another element. They can be formed through the reaction of an element with oxygen, or through the decomposition of other compounds.

2. How are acids formed from oxides?

When oxides react with water, they can form acids. The oxygen in the oxide combines with hydrogen from the water to form an acid. The type of acid formed depends on the element in the oxide.

3. What are some examples of oxides that give a mixture of 2 acids?

Some examples of oxides that give a mixture of 2 acids include sulfur dioxide (SO2), nitrogen dioxide (NO2), and carbon monoxide (CO).

4. How do you determine the ratio of acids formed from an oxide reaction?

The ratio of acids formed from an oxide reaction can be determined by looking at the atomic composition of the oxide. For example, sulfur dioxide (SO2) contains one atom of sulfur and two atoms of oxygen, so it will form a mixture of sulfuric acid (H2SO4) and sulfurous acid (H2SO3) in a 1:2 ratio.

5. What are some practical applications of the reaction of oxides to form acids?

The reaction of oxides to form acids has many practical applications. For example, sulfur dioxide can be used to produce sulfuric acid, which is used in the production of fertilizers, detergents, and batteries. Nitrogen dioxide can be used to produce nitric acid, which is used in the production of explosives and fertilizers. Carbon monoxide can be used to produce formic acid, which is used in the production of textiles and leather.