1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reaction Order Question

1. Jan 14, 2007 #1

I already know the answer to this but I still have a question about how to understand this stuff for my upcoming quiz.

Two reactants, A and B, are mixed, and the reaction is timed until a color
    change occurs. The data are as follows:
    [A] Time (s)
    0.100 0.140 25
    0.050 0.140 50
    0.100 0.070 100
    The order of the reaction with respect to is ___?

Common sense tells me that since double the concentration (row 1 vs row 3 so [A] is constant) makes the time 4 times less, so the reaction is four times faster. That would make it a second order reaction.

But if I make it into rates I get something different. I divide the column B value by the Time column value (change in concentration over time, assuming the color change occurs when the concentration of B is 0). I get .0056 mol/L*s for the concentration of .140 mol/L and .0007 for the concentration of 0.07. This is a difference of a factor of 8 in with the reaction rates, which would indicate it is a third order reaction.

Obviously, the common sense approach was right... but I'm not exactly sure why it is wrong to hypothetically assume you have a liter of A or B, follow the concentration, and use that to make a rate.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?