1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reaction problem

1. Mar 13, 2006 #1
    I have trouble writing the total ionic equation when aqueous ammonium acetate is mixed with sulfuric acid.

After I wrote the complete formula equation, I got:
    [tex]2NH_{4}C_{2}H_{3}O_{2}(aq) + H_{2}SO_{4}(aq) \rightarrow (NH_{4})_{2}SO_{4}(aq) + 2HC_{2}H_{3}O_{2}(aq)[/tex]

I don't know how this is written in the total ionic equation. Can anyone help?

So far, I got:
    [tex]2NH^+_4(aq) + 2C_2H_3O_2(aq) + H^+(aq) + HSO^-_4(aq) \rightarrow 2NH^+_4(aq) +SO^{2-}_4(aq) + 2H^+(aq) + 2C_2H_3O_2^-(aq)[/tex]
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're gonna have a neutralization reaction between acetate and sulfuric acid right? You'll need to also consider the ammonium and it's Ka.
  4. Mar 14, 2006 #3
    What is Ka? I thought that I was supposed to write the ions of the aqueous solutions for both reactant and product. I did this in lab last week, so I know that there must be some reaction. I don't know how to balance the equation or write the ionic equation for this mixture.
  5. Mar 14, 2006 #4
    he's only asked to write the net ionic equation not solve for th pH, from what he has written, i think

isnt what you have written all you have to do anyway?
  6. Mar 14, 2006 #5
    The ammonium ion is a spectator ion, so that won't be in the net ionic equation. Also, the H+ will react with the C2H3O2- to form acetic acid. I don't think HSO4- will dissociate at all, so the sulfate ion will not form...I think HSO4- will also be a spectator ion.

I think the net ionic equation might be:

H+ + C2H3O2- ---> HC2H3O2

I may be wrong though - this is one of my worst parts of chemistry =(
  7. Mar 15, 2006 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, at least write up the net ionic equation pertaining to the neutralization reaction, and we can go from there.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?