1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reaction Question

1. Feb 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given the following reactions, determine the moles of product that should be produced. If sulfuric acid were not used in the third equation, would water be a good recrystallization solvent? What if choloroacetic acid was used instead of the sodium salt? Finally what evidence would an NMR provide to reveal the substitution reaction took place?

mol NaOH : 0.0025
    mol o-cresol: 0.0025
    mol sodium chloroacetate: 0.0025

1 mL of 10% H2SO4

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7127/chem262lrxn.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

chemistry duhdhdhdh

3. The attempt at a solution

For the first question, everything is in a 1:1:1 molar ratio; however, the limiting reagent in the final step is unclear to me because in the actual experiment, we used 1 mL of 10% sulfuric acid. This corresponds to 0.001 mol of acid, vs 0.0025 mol of NaOH, o-cresol, and sodium chloroacetate. Since the percent yield is based on the limiting reagent, I'd expect only 0.001 mol of product to be produced. Am I correct in assuming the final moles of product yielded are limited by the mols of acid present?

The second question, I don't know. Without an acid to protonate the salt wouldn't the water serve the same purpose? Still allowing it to be a good recrystallization solvent?

I feel the chloroacetic acid's alcohol hydrogen would be plucked off by the oxygen in the phenolate anion instead of it attacking the carbon adjacent to the chloride...

Finally, I have no idea where to begin in regards to NMR at all.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?