Reaction rate mol-1sec-1 to sec-1

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about calculating reaction rate in units of time. The question involves a reaction with the equation A + B = C and another reaction with A + A = A2. The question also mentions knowing the volume and having a reaction rate of 0.8/mol.min. The conversation ends with a clarification about the units of the reaction rate.
piplaw

Homework Statement

Hi there. I have a reaction

A + B = C
I am told the reaction rate is 0.8/mol.min and I know how many molecules of A and B I have. So my question is how do I get to the reacting rate in units of time only?

The second part of the question is the same but for a dimerisation reaction.

A + A = A2

I also know the volume if that helps, though I am not sure you need it.

I am sure this is fairly simple but I seem to have had a complete brain fart and I'm going round in circles.

Thanks in advance

Phill

Thank

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Please elaborate.

By definition reaction rate is dC/dt, so it should be mol/s, not mol*s.

Thanks my reaction rate is given in mols-1s-1. Given the state of the system (i.e number of molecule of A and B) at a give time I am required to calculate the reaction rate in s-1

1. What is reaction rate?

Reaction rate refers to the speed at which a chemical reaction takes place. It is a measure of how quickly reactants are converted into products.

2. What does "mol-1sec-1" refer to in reaction rate?

"mol-1sec-1" is a unit of measurement used to express reaction rate. It stands for moles per second, and indicates the number of moles of reactant consumed or product formed per second.

3. How is reaction rate typically measured?

Reaction rate is usually measured by monitoring the change in concentration of either the reactants or products over time. This can be done through various techniques such as spectrophotometry or titration.

4. How does temperature affect reaction rate?

An increase in temperature generally results in an increase in reaction rate. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for molecules to collide and react, leading to a faster reaction rate. However, extremely high temperatures can also denature enzymes and slow down reactions.

5. What factors can influence reaction rate?

Aside from temperature, other factors that can affect reaction rate include concentration of reactants, presence of catalysts, surface area of reactants, and pressure (for gaseous reactions). Additionally, the nature of the reactants and the type of reaction can also influence the rate at which a reaction occurs.