1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reaction Rates Lab Report

1. Nov 27, 2012 #1
    The reaction I did for the lab is:
    H2SO4 + Mg --> MgSO4 + H2

In my graph, there displays the two variables - the concentration of sulfuric acid and the average rate of reaction in direct proportion. How do I explain the trend?

I know I can explain this qualitatively using collision theory, but to explain why they are in direct proportion requires the rate law from what I know.

Since the graph shows a linear relationship, the experiments show that the order of reaction with respect to sulfuric acid is 1. I think I need to explain this by finding the rate determining step of this reaction and putting the coefficients as the powers, but I do not know the reaction mechanism. Can anyone help me out here and explain why it is this reaction mechanism and which is the rate determining step?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?