Chemistry Lab Homework: Reaction Rates & Concentration Calculation

In summary, the conversation is about a lab where the person is trying to find the concentration of CH3COOH. They mention using the equations n = m / M and c = n*v, but they are unsure if the ideal gas law can be used. They also mention the volume of CH3COOH for the first trial is 0.02L and that they need to find the moles to calculate the concentration. There is also a discussion about using the percentage of acetic acid in vinegar to help with the calculation.
Revengeance

Homework Statement

Hello all, I am doing this lab http://scc.scdsb.edu.on.ca/Students/onlinecourses/Sikora/sch4u/v12/60.pdf

i am stuck on trying to find hte concentration of ch3cooh

Homework Equations

n = m / M and c = n*vand i think the ideal gas law could be used but not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

so the volume of ch3cooh for the first trial is 0.02L, and in order to find the concentration i must find the moles

Physics news on Phys.org
Revengeance said:
concentration of ch3cooh
If you are told "vinegar" is three per cent acetic acid by weight, does that help?
Revengeance said:
n = m / M and c = n*v
You're going to have to tell us what these letters mean; we aren't mind readers.
Revengeance said:
so the volume of ch3cooh for the first trial is 0.02L, and in order to find the concentration i must find the moles
Twenty milliliters of vinegar at three per cent? Or twenty milliliters of acetic acid?

1. What is the purpose of studying reaction rates in a chemistry lab?

The purpose of studying reaction rates is to understand the speed at which chemical reactions occur and the factors that influence them. This information can help in predicting and controlling the rate of reactions, which is crucial in many industrial and biological processes.

2. How do you calculate the reaction rate?

The reaction rate is calculated by dividing the change in concentration of a reactant or product by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation: rate = Δ[R]/Δt, where [R] is the concentration and t is the time.

3. What is the relationship between concentration and reaction rate?

The concentration of reactants and products directly affects the reaction rate. Generally, as the concentration of reactants increases, the reaction rate increases as well. This is because there are more particles available to collide and react with each other, leading to a faster rate of reaction.

4. How does temperature affect reaction rates?

Temperature also has a significant impact on reaction rates. As temperature increases, the particles have more kinetic energy and move faster, increasing the frequency of collisions and therefore the reaction rate. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for the reactant particles to overcome the activation energy barrier and form products.

5. What are some factors that can affect reaction rates?

Aside from concentration and temperature, other factors that can influence reaction rates include the presence of a catalyst, surface area of reactants, and the nature of the reactants involved. Additionally, pressure, light, and pH can also affect reaction rates in certain cases.