Solving Reaction Rates in Lab Experiments

In summary, the conversation is about a lab on reaction rates and determining the concentration of certain substances in a given reaction. The correct equation to use is M1V1=M2V2, and the next step is to assign volumes and known concentrations to symbols.
natash

Homework Statement

okay so I am going to do a lab on reaction rates, there's a table given (effects of varying concentration)

there are 9 reactions, I will just give one, ( if i can figure this out ill figure out the rest on my own)

so reaction #1 flask A contains 7.50mL of .200M KI
none of .20 M KCI
.0050 M S2O3^-2
1 drop of starch
flask B contains 7.5 mL of .100M S2O8^-2

It says for each reaction determine the concentration of KI, (NH4)2S2O8, and Na2S2O3 that will be present when solution A and B are mixed together. the total volume for each reaction is 20.0 mL.

Homework Equations

M1V1=M2V2 ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to begin this, would I have to use the M1V1=M2V2 ? how would I set it up ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct dillution equation (that's just mass balance) now you have to assign volumes and known concentration to symbols.

it is important to approach any experiment or problem systematically in order to obtain accurate and reliable results. In this case, the first step would be to clearly identify the goal of the experiment and the variables involved. In this case, the goal is to determine the concentration of KI, (NH4)2S2O8, and Na2S2O3 in the final solution after mixing flask A and B together.

Next, it is important to review and understand the given information, such as the concentrations of the solutions in flask A and B and the total volume of the final solution. From this, we can calculate the initial moles of each reactant in flask A and B using the given concentrations and volumes.

Then, using the balanced chemical equation for the reaction, we can determine the moles of each reactant that will be used up and the moles of each product that will be formed. This will allow us to set up a system of equations to solve for the unknown concentrations using the given total volume and the principle of conservation of mass.

In terms of setting up the equation, you are correct in using the formula M1V1=M2V2, where M1 and V1 represent the initial concentration and volume of the reactants, and M2 and V2 represent the final concentration and volume of the products. However, it is important to keep in mind that the volumes and concentrations should be in the same units (e.g. mL and M or L and mol/L).

In summary, to solve this problem, you will need to:
1. Identify the goal and variables involved
2. Review and understand the given information
3. Calculate the initial moles of each reactant
4. Use the balanced chemical equation to determine the moles of reactants used and products formed
5. Set up a system of equations to solve for the unknown concentrations
6. Use the formula M1V1=M2V2 to calculate the final concentrations.

I hope this helps and good luck with your experiment! Remember to carefully record your data and observations, and to repeat the experiment multiple times to ensure accuracy and reliability.

1. What is a reaction rate and why is it important to study in lab experiments?

A reaction rate is the measure of how quickly a chemical reaction occurs. It is important to study in lab experiments because it provides valuable information about the reaction and its mechanism, as well as the rate at which products are formed or reactants are consumed.

2. How do you determine the reaction rate in a lab experiment?

The reaction rate can be determined by measuring the change in concentration of reactants or products over time. This can be done by using a colorimeter, spectrophotometer, or by titration.

3. What factors can affect the reaction rate in a lab experiment?

Several factors can affect the reaction rate, including temperature, concentration of reactants, presence of a catalyst, and surface area of reactants. Other factors such as pH, pressure, and the nature of the reactants can also play a role.

4. How can you control the reaction rate in a lab experiment?

The reaction rate can be controlled by adjusting the experimental conditions such as temperature, concentration, and the presence of a catalyst. These parameters can be manipulated to speed up or slow down the reaction.

5. What are some common techniques used to study reaction rates in lab experiments?

Some common techniques used to study reaction rates in lab experiments include the initial rate method, integrated rate law method, and half-life method. These techniques involve measuring the change in concentration of reactants or products over a period of time to determine the reaction rate.