How Do Reaction Time and Braking Deceleration Affect Stopping Distance and Time?

In summary: When the pedestrian steps into the road, the car will continue to travel at 30 km/h until the driver hits the breaks, which in your case is 0.3 seconds (very fast if you ask me :). The stopping distance is then the combined distance of this and how far it takes for the car to decelerate to a full stop once the driver hits the breaks. The deceleration is 4.5 m/s, so the stopping time is 0.06 seconds.
9giddjl
reaction time, beraking deceleration..Please help:)

Homework Statement

A pedestrian steps on to the road while an approaching car is traveling at 30 km/h. If the driver's reaction time is 0.3 s and the braking deceleration is 4.5 m/s, calculate a) the stopping distance; (b) the stopping time

Homework Equations

v2=u2 + 2as?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to work out the stopping distance by converting u=30 km/h to m/s then i used the equation s=(u+v)*t/2 but I am not familiar with all this reaction time stuff? and also i know the final speed is 0 but how can i find all the information with the reaction time and the breaking deceleration?
Could someone please help me:) I would really appreciate it! Thankyou very much

Physics news on Phys.org
When the pedestrian steps into the road, the car will continue to travel at 30 km/h until the driver hits the breaks, which in your case is 0.3 seconds (very fast if you ask me :). The stopping distance is then the combined distance of this and how far it takes for the car to decelerate to a full stop once the driver hits the breaks.

Thankyou so much! that realli helps but um i don't know how to find the distance of how far it takes for the car to decelerate to a full stop.. umm do i need to find the decelleration first so i have v,u,a and then i can use the equation v2=u2+2as?

Well, when trying to find equations I always try to look at what I have and what I want, and see if I can find one so that the one variable I want is the only unknown.

In this case you have the initial speed u and the final speed v, and you have the acceleration a. What you want is the distance s.

oh woops hehe i have it now, thankyou very much!

1. What is reaction time and why is it important?

Reaction time is the amount of time it takes for a person to respond to a stimulus. It is important because it can affect a person's ability to perform tasks quickly and accurately, and can also impact safety in situations such as driving or operating machinery.

2. How is reaction time measured?

Reaction time can be measured by using various methods such as a simple reaction time test, where a person must quickly press a button in response to a visual or auditory cue. It can also be measured using more complex tests that involve decision-making and motor response tasks.

3. What factors can affect reaction time?

Reaction time can be influenced by a variety of factors, including age, gender, fatigue, distractions, and level of arousal. Individuals may also have different baseline reaction times due to genetic and physiological differences.

4. How does braking deceleration affect reaction time?

Braking deceleration is the rate at which a vehicle slows down when the brakes are applied. It can greatly impact reaction time because it affects the amount of time a person has to perceive and respond to a potential danger while driving. Higher braking deceleration requires faster reaction times in order to avoid accidents.

5. Can reaction time be improved?

Yes, reaction time can be improved through practice and training. Activities such as playing video games, participating in sports, and performing reaction time exercises can help improve reaction time by increasing neural pathways and improving cognitive processing speed.