Reaction time of car physics

In summary, the stopping distances for a car with an initial speed of 85 km/h and a human reaction time of 1.0 s are 82 m and 47 m for accelerations of -4.0 m/s2 and -8.0 m/s2 respectively. The equations used were d=v1+v2/2 *t and a=change in velocity/time. The time used for each calculation was 5.9 s and 2.95 s for (a) and (b) respectively. The mistake in the calculation was not subtracting the reaction time from the total time.
JDR 007

Homework Statement

Determine the stopping distances for a car with an initial speed of 85 km/h and human reaction time of 1.0 s for the following accelerations.
(a) a = -4.0 m/s2
m
(b) a = -8.0 m/s2
m

Homework Equations

d=v1+v2/2 *t
a=change in velocity/time

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted 85kh/h into 23.61m/s
I found how many seconds in each instance
(a) 5.9s...I did -4=(0-23.61)/t solved for t
(b)2.95s...same as a
using these times I used (23.61+0)/2 *Time then added 1 for the reaction delay

I got (a)=82 and (b)=47

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Subtract time.

I would first check if the equations and conversions used are correct. The formula for stopping distance, d, is actually d = v0t + 1/2at^2, where v0 is the initial velocity. So for (a), the stopping distance would be (23.61 m/s)(5.9 s) + 1/2(-4.0 m/s^2)(5.9 s)^2 = 69.3 m. For (b), the stopping distance would be (23.61 m/s)(2.95 s) + 1/2(-8.0 m/s^2)(2.95 s)^2 = 34.6 m. These values are significantly different from the ones you calculated.

Additionally, it is important to note that these calculations assume a constant acceleration throughout the entire deceleration process, which may not be the case in real life. Other factors such as friction and air resistance may also affect the stopping distance of a car. Therefore, it is important to conduct experiments and gather data to accurately determine the reaction time of car physics.

1. What is reaction time in the context of car physics?

Reaction time in car physics refers to the time it takes for a driver to react and respond to a stimulus on the road, such as an obstacle or a change in traffic.

2. How is reaction time measured in car physics?

Reaction time in car physics is typically measured in seconds. It can be calculated by measuring the time it takes for a driver to respond to a stimulus and initiate a physical action, such as braking or steering.

3. What factors can affect reaction time in car physics?

Several factors can affect reaction time in car physics, including the driver's age, attention and alertness level, physical and mental health, and the condition of the vehicle.

4. Why is reaction time important in car physics?

Reaction time is crucial in car physics as it directly impacts a driver's ability to respond to unexpected situations and avoid accidents. A shorter reaction time can mean the difference between a near miss and a collision.

5. Can reaction time be improved in car physics?

Yes, reaction time can be improved in car physics through practice, proper training, and maintaining good physical and mental health. Techniques such as defensive driving and staying alert and focused while on the road can also help improve reaction time.