1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reaction Time

1. Sep 29, 2005 #1
    The reaction time of an automobile driver is about 0.7 s. (reaction time is interval between the perception of a signal to stop and the application of the brakes). If an automobile can slow down with an acceleration of -4.0 m/s^2. compute total distance convered in coming to a stop after a signal is observed (a) from an initial speed of 6.7 m/s in a school zone; (b) from an initial speed of 24.6 m/s.

(a) So I know that [itex] v_{x} = 0, v_{x}_{0} = 6.7 m/s, a_{x} = -4.0 m/s^{2} [/itex]. So would I first find time by using [itex] 0 = 6.7 - 4t [/itex] or [itex] t = 1.675 s [/itex]. Then would I add 0.7 seconds to that to get total time? And then use [itex] x = x_{0} + v_{x}_{0}t + \frac{1}{2}a_{x}t^{2} [/itex]. I think something is wrong, but ont know what.

Any help is appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2005 #2
    This seems like the exact solution method. Why do you think it is wrong?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?