Reaction of Br2 with Possible Products & Stereoisomers

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, when Br2 is reacted with a compound, it can undergo addition or substitution reactions resulting in products such as 1,2-dibromoalkanes, 1,4-dibromobutanes, and alpha-bromoketones. Stereoisomers are molecules with the same formula and connectivity but differ in spatial arrangement, leading to different physical properties. The reaction of Br2 with a compound can produce stereoisomers if the compound has chiral centers or double bonds. This reaction can also produce both enantiomers and diastereomers, which can be controlled by adjusting reaction conditions and using chiral reagents or catalysts.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Give all possible products of the following reaction. How many stereoisomers of each product could be obained

Homework Equations

See attached image

The Attempt at a Solution

For product 1, there is 1 chiral centre and 1 double bond. ∴No. of products = 22
For 2, it will be same as 1.
For 3, two chiral centres. Thus, 22 products.

Correct answer according to solution:-
1 - 2 products
2 - 4 products
3 - 2 products

Attachments

• pf_orgchem.jpg
    pf_orgchem.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 483
Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

Give all possible products of the following reaction. How many stereoisomers of each product could be obained

Homework Equations

See attached image

The Attempt at a Solution

For product 1, there is 1 chiral centre and 1 double bond. ∴No. of products = 22
For 2, it will be same as 1.
For 3, two chiral centres. Thus, 22 products.

1 - 2 products
2 - 4 products
3 - 2 products

I am not sure if I understood the problem statement and your attempt. The question asked to find the possible products but then what does the following mean:
1 - 2 products
2 - 4 products
3 - 2 products
What does 1,2 and 3 represent? Do they represent the structures you have drawn and are they correct according to the solution key?

Pranav-Arora said:
I am not sure if I understood the problem statement and your attempt. The question asked to find the possible products but then what does the following mean:

What does 1,2 and 3 represent? Do they represent the structures you have drawn and are they correct according to the solution key?

They represent the structures in my diagram and are correct according to the solution key.
The total possible products are 3 but then the problem also asks the number of stereoisomers of each possible products.

Ask yourself how does Bromine attach to the given molecule? Does it involve the formation of planar intermediate at the site of bonding or is it something else? Just a food for thought.

AGNuke said:
Ask yourself how does Bromine attach to the given molecule? Does it involve the formation of planar intermediate at the site of bonding or is it something else? Just a food for thought.

The bromonium ion attaches itself to the double bond and then, the bromide ion attacks resulting in the formation of product. I guess the intermediate must be non-planar.

Really? The triangular C-Br-C intermediate forms and that is non-planar?

AGNuke, do you still remember this stuff? :rofl:

Pranav-Arora said:
AGNuke, do you still remember this stuff? :rofl:

No, I don't. I was talking just about the C-Br-C bond.

Please note that having a double bond doesn't confirm stereoisomerism unless there is a flexibility to have more than one orientation (hint: Double bond in the ring, product 1)

Second one - I'm sure you can do it.

Third one - Again, go through the mechanism and witness how Br- attacks that "intermediate". You'll reach the conclusion. (Hint: The stereocentres are not independent of each other)

Last edited:
AGNuke said:
Please note that having a double bond doesn't confirm stereoisomerism unless there is a flexibility to have more than one orientation (hint: Double bond in the ring, product 1)

Second one - I'm sure you can do it.

Third one - Again, go through the mechanism and witness how Br- attacks that "intermediate". You'll reach the conclusion. (Hint: The stereocentres are not independent of each other)

This means whenever a double bond is present in the ring, only one product is obtained, right? For third one, are cis and trans products formed ?

Last edited:
Nope. Try to remember how Bromide ion attack. The Bromidium ion exclusively runs away from the direction of attack of the Bromide ion, so the product will always be Trans.

But as I said, their chirality is not independent, use this fact to arrive at the conclusion that you'll get a racemic mixture of two possible trans product.

AGNuke said:
Nope. Try to remember how Bromide ion attack. The Bromidium ion exclusively runs away from the direction of attack of the Bromide ion, so the product will always be Trans.

But as I said, their chirality is not independent, use this fact to arrive at the conclusion that you'll get a racemic mixture of two possible trans product.

I still can't understand how the two stereocentres are dependent.

Since the bromide ion and brominium ion are always opposite to each other (as far as I can remember), they are always in Trans orientation. The two stereocentres each have one bromine attached to them. But since they are always in trans state, you can't independently permute the two stereocentres, or else there'll be two cases for cis orientation, which is not possible. Hence, the stereocentres are obliged to be dependent.

AGNuke said:
Since the bromide ion and brominium ion are always opposite to each other (as far as I can remember), they are always in Trans orientation. The two stereocentres each have one bromine attached to them. But since they are always in trans state, you can't independently permute the two stereocentres, or else there'll be two cases for cis orientation, which is not possible. Hence, the stereocentres are obliged to be dependent.

Then only one product should exist, and that too in trans form. But why is the answer 2?

Umm... if you change the orientation at one point, the orientation at another point will also change. Hence the two products. Now draw the products in the wedge-dash diagram and appreciate the fact that you'll be getting a racemic mixture.

1. What is the reaction of Br2 with possible products?

When Br2 is reacted with a compound, it can undergo either addition or substitution reactions to form a variety of products depending on the reactant. Some possible products include 1,2-dibromoalkanes, 1,4-dibromobutanes, and alpha-bromoketones.

2. What are stereoisomers?

Stereoisomers are molecules that have the same chemical formula and connectivity between atoms, but differ in the spatial arrangement of their atoms. This can result in different physical properties, such as melting point or optical activity.

3. How does the reaction of Br2 with a compound lead to stereoisomers?

The reaction of Br2 with a compound can lead to stereoisomers if the compound has chiral centers or double bonds. These reactions can result in the formation of different stereoisomers due to the orientation of the new Br atoms on the molecule.

4. Can the reaction of Br2 with a compound produce both enantiomers and diastereomers?

Yes, the reaction of Br2 with a compound can produce both enantiomers and diastereomers. Enantiomers are mirror images of each other and have the same physical properties, while diastereomers are non-mirror image stereoisomers with different physical properties.

5. How can the formation of stereoisomers be controlled in the reaction of Br2 with a compound?

The formation of stereoisomers can be controlled in the reaction of Br2 with a compound by adjusting the reaction conditions, such as temperature, solvent, and reactant concentration. Additionally, the use of chiral reagents or catalysts can direct the formation of specific stereoisomers.