Reactions of captured muons with nuclei

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of muons reacting with heavy nuclei and creating noble gases such as Kr and Xe. The speaker had previously expected this reaction to occur due to the muon's close proximity to the nucleus and the energy available, but their internet search did not yield any information on this topic. The conversation also mentions the use of muonic atoms in studying nuclear properties and the speaker's curiosity about the potential for noble gases to form through muon interactions in secondary cosmic rays. Their interest is based on the potential for estimating the age of minerals and observing changes in cosmic-ray flux.
shelanachium
I read many years ago that muons captured by nuclei with Z>10 react with these nuclei faster than their simple decay. In other words, such reactions as muon + Fe-56 --> Mn-56 + muon-neutrino are faster than the simple decay of the muon to electron, muon-neutrino and electron-antineutrino.

I expected this reaction, which is analagous to EC as in Be-7, because the muon orbits much closer to the nucleus than an electron (and in high-Z nuclei the muon orbital is largely within the nucleus); also the energy available to drive this reaction is of the order of 100 Mev, not the few Mev available to drive EC reactions.

Yet my internet search on muonic atoms has turned up no mention of such reactions. Am I mistaken?

I am interested because if muons do react with heavy nuclei, traces of noble gases should appear through muon interaction with the lightest stable isotopes of Sr and Ba in minerals of these; if these isotopes capture muons the resulting Rb and Cs nuclides largely decay to Kr and Xe:

Sr-84 + muon ---> Rb-84 + muon-neutrino; then most of Rb-84 decays by beta+ or EC to Kr-84.

Analagous reactions with Ba-130 and Ba-132 should generate Xe-130 and Xe-132.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are correct in your reasoning.
You can find some information about decays of muonic atoms in the following article (if you have access to it)

Eur. Phys. J. C47, p. 336 (W. Bertl et al.)

The muon-capture rate (MC) according to that reference grows as Z^4.

Muonic atoms are often used to study different properties of nuclei (for example radii) and hyperfine structure. But I don't see why you are interesting in creating noble gases this way. You know that muonic atoms decay by for example with muon-capture so in some way I don't understand your question for these type of experiments.

Muon Capture by heavy nuclei

Many thanks for reference, should be able to find in University Library.

I am not interested in making noble gases from Sr and Ba minerals but in seeing if Nature does so through muons in secondary cosmic rays. The amount of Kr and Xe accumulated could give a crude estimate of the age of the minerals, or if this is already known, whether or not there has been any notable change in cosmic-ray flux since they formed - though obviously the muon flux will depend on the depth of the mineral; low capture at shallow depths (muons too energetic for capture) and at great depths most will already have been captured or decayed.

Because of the geological activity of the Earth, the depth of the mineral could have changed radically over time; lunar and martian samples from known depths might be more informative.

Ru-containing minerals should also contain traces of long-lived Tc-98 and 99 from muon capture.

Just curiosity I'm afraid! Not a physicist but an amateur scientific polymath strongest on chemistry and biology!

1. What are muons and how are they captured?

Muons are subatomic particles that are similar to electrons but have a much larger mass. They are formed when cosmic rays collide with particles in the Earth's atmosphere. These muons can be captured by nuclei, which are the central parts of atoms, through a process called muon capture.

2. What happens when a muon is captured by a nucleus?

When a muon is captured by a nucleus, it becomes a part of that nucleus and forms a new type of atom. The muon will orbit around the nucleus just like an electron, but due to its larger mass, it will have a shorter orbit and will be closer to the nucleus.

3. How do muons react with nuclei?

The reactions of captured muons with nuclei depend on the type of nucleus and the energy of the muon. In some cases, the muon may cause the nucleus to undergo a nuclear reaction, where it either absorbs or emits particles. In other cases, the muon may cause the nucleus to become unstable and decay into a different element.

4. What is the significance of studying reactions of captured muons with nuclei?

Studying these reactions can provide insight into the structure of nuclei and the fundamental forces that hold them together. It can also help us understand the role of muons in nuclear reactions and their potential use in nuclear energy production. Additionally, these reactions can provide valuable information about the properties of exotic nuclei that cannot be studied through other means.

5. How are reactions of captured muons with nuclei studied?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study these reactions, including accelerators, detectors, and computer simulations. They can also use different types of nuclei and muons with varying energies to observe the different reactions that occur. Additionally, scientists may collaborate with other researchers to analyze and interpret the data gathered from these experiments.