Exploring Quicksilver Reactions: Temperature vs. Electric Shock

• Thread starter LocktnLoaded
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reactions
In summary, mercury is not the best way to excite mercury, there are other methods that are available.
LocktnLoaded
I'm trying to find out if there is another way to excite mercury other than temperature, say for instance what would the reaction be if a stungun was fired into a bucket of mercury, and would the result be the same if it happened in a vacuum? novice at this

Physics news on Phys.org
LocktnLoaded said:
I'm trying to find out if there is another way to excite mercury other than temperature
I don't know that I could help anyway, but mainly I'm not quite sure what the question is. 'Excite' how? If you mean to produce light, that's electrical stimulation of mercury vapour, not really dependent upon temperature. (Incidentally, if you're thinking of doing any experiments with mercury, be extremely careful. It's incredibly toxic and can kill you through skin absorbtion as well as inhalation.)

No, I'm not doing any experiments, just doing some pondering about over unity, what I'm looking for is a fluid that expands, by temperture or electrical means, that will go back to its smaller stable state , like a thermometer would retreat back to its bulb when it gets cooler.

Careful! You are almost speaking about Alchemy. Modern propaganda argues about these different phases of quicksilver.

Ah, in the USA there is an alchemical thread which uses gunpowder (not available to Mid Age practicioners) to burn the composite.

For classical alchemy, you can try Newman & Principe ' book.

LocktnLoaded said:
No, I'm not doing any experiments, just doing some pondering about over unity, what I'm looking for is a fluid that expands, by temperture or electrical means, that will go back to its smaller stable state , like a thermometer would retreat back to its bulb when it gets cooler.
I see. Okay then, mercury isn't the way to go. I don't have the time to find it right now, but there are people doing pretty much what you're interested in. They've come up with an electrically active fluid that changes it's viscosity according to how much current is going through it. So far they have variable shock absorbers, but I think that they're trying to expand the research in order to make artificial muscles out of the stuff. Maybe try Googling for 'electroactive fluids' or various similar things.

What is quicksilver?

Quicksilver, also known as mercury, is a chemical element with the symbol Hg and atomic number 80. It is a silvery-white metal that is liquid at room temperature.

What are the properties of quicksilver?

Quicksilver is a dense, heavy metal that has a low melting point and can easily evaporate into a gas. It is a poor conductor of heat and electricity, but it has a high surface tension and is easily alloyed with other metals.

What are the reactions of quicksilver with other elements?

Quicksilver can react with many elements, forming compounds such as mercuric oxide, mercuric chloride, and mercuric sulfide. It can also form amalgams with other metals, such as gold and silver.

Is quicksilver toxic?

Yes, quicksilver is highly toxic. It can cause damage to the nervous system, kidneys, and other organs if ingested or inhaled. It is important to handle quicksilver with caution and dispose of it properly.

What are the uses of quicksilver?

Quicksilver has been used throughout history in a variety of applications, including as a component in thermometers, barometers, and fluorescent lights. It is also used in dental fillings, electrical switches, and in the production of some industrial chemicals. However, due to its toxicity, its use is becoming more limited.