1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reactions on a drawbridge

1. Apr 6, 2007 #1

danago

Gold Member

Hi. Not directly a specific homework question, but it will help with some of my questions.

When the bridge is flat, why is the reaction force from the wall on the bridge angled upwards? Why is it not horizontal, along the length of the bridge?

Sorry if i was a little vague.

Thanks,
    Dan.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the force were only horizontal, how would that keep it from falling? I'm also sorry to be vague.

4. Apr 7, 2007 #3

danago

Gold Member

Hmm ok. If it was a frictionless wall, would it be possible for an angled reaction force to exist?

5. Apr 7, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand the situation. Are you saying that the drawbridge is held up by friction? How is the bridge attached to the wall? What pulls the bridge up and down?

6. Apr 7, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nearest I can come to having it make sense is that the bridge is being compressed against the wall. So there two forces. There is the horizontal wall reaction force to the normal force of compression. And there would be a vertical static frictional force holding the thing up. So the combination of these two forces can be 'angled upwards'. If it's a frictionless wall, the bridge will fall.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?