Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reactive Power Question

1. Oct 29, 2008 #1
    Assume a single-phase AC voltage applied to a series circuit with a certain impedance. Because of the real and imaginary part of the impedance, we get both real and reactive power. Now, if we were to connect a capacitor in parallel with the circuit, and if this capacitor supplies a certain amount of vars, what happens to the total reactive power of the circuit? My intuition tells me that:

P(total) is unchanged because the capacitor is purely reactive.
    Q(total) = Q(source_before) = Q(source) + Q(cap)

So basically by adding that capacitor, you're reducing the the reactive power supplied by the voltage source, and thus increasing the power factor. Am I right?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2008 #2
    Yes, indeed capacitor is a static reactive power generator.:smile:

--------------------------------------
    Creative thinking is enjoyable, Then think about your surrounding things and other thought products. http://electrical-riddles.com

4. Oct 30, 2008 #3
    Thanks! =]

5. Oct 30, 2008 #4
    You need to look up 'Power Factor Correction".

Poor power factor will increase real power loss because a higher current will flow in the wiring and the generator has to be capable of supplying the higher current.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook