Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reactive Power Question

1. Oct 29, 2008 #1
    Assume a single-phase AC voltage applied to a series circuit with a certain impedance. Because of the real and imaginary part of the impedance, we get both real and reactive power. Now, if we were to connect a capacitor in parallel with the circuit, and if this capacitor supplies a certain amount of vars, what happens to the total reactive power of the circuit? My intuition tells me that:

P(total) is unchanged because the capacitor is purely reactive.
    Q(total) = Q(source_before) = Q(source) + Q(cap)

So basically by adding that capacitor, you're reducing the the reactive power supplied by the voltage source, and thus increasing the power factor. Am I right?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2008 #2
    Yes, indeed capacitor is a static reactive power generator.:smile:

--------------------------------------
    Creative thinking is enjoyable, Then think about your surrounding things and other thought products. http://electrical-riddles.com

4. Oct 30, 2008 #3
    Thanks! =]

5. Oct 30, 2008 #4
    You need to look up 'Power Factor Correction".

Poor power factor will increase real power loss because a higher current will flow in the wiring and the generator has to be capable of supplying the higher current.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?