1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reactivity of N2 and H2

1. Jun 9, 2013 #1
    Why would N2 be less reactive than H2?
    I found out that N2 has a three link bond, which partly explains it. But, what else could I add? Unfortunately, nitrogen is more electronegative than hydrogen so I cannot add that as an explanation...
    Could I say that hydrogen needs to lose or gain 1 electron instead of 3 for nitrogen? Could that really describe reactivity? Anything else?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2013 #2
    You're on the right track.

H2 consists of one sigma bond (overlapping s-orbitals). N2 consists of a triple bond composed of one sigma bond and two pi-bonds (overlapping p-orbitals). This triple bond, and the fact that N2 has a full valance shell, means N2 just doesn't want to break apart easily relative to the single bond of H2.

Quantitatively, H2 has bond dissolution energy of about 436 kJ/mol, and N2 has bond dissolution energy of about 946 kJ/mol. It takes much more energy to break N2 bonds than H2 bonds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted