Why N2 is Less Reactive than H2: Exploring the Bonding Differences

• Thread starter alingy1
  • Start date
In summary, the reason why N2 is less reactive than H2 is due to its triple bond and full valence shell, making it harder to break apart compared to H2. Additionally, N2 has a higher bond dissolution energy than H2, requiring more energy to break its bonds.
alingy1
Why would N2 be less reactive than H2?
I found out that N2 has a three link bond, which partly explains it. But, what else could I add? Unfortunately, nitrogen is more electronegative than hydrogen so I cannot add that as an explanation...
Could I say that hydrogen needs to lose or gain 1 electron instead of 3 for nitrogen? Could that really describe reactivity? Anything else?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track.

H2 consists of one sigma bond (overlapping s-orbitals). N2 consists of a triple bond composed of one sigma bond and two pi-bonds (overlapping p-orbitals). This triple bond, and the fact that N2 has a full valance shell, means N2 just doesn't want to break apart easily relative to the single bond of H2.

Quantitatively, H2 has bond dissolution energy of about 436 kJ/mol, and N2 has bond dissolution energy of about 946 kJ/mol. It takes much more energy to break N2 bonds than H2 bonds.

1. What is the difference between the reactivity of N2 and H2?

N2 and H2 have different levels of reactivity due to their molecular structures. H2 has a more reactive single bond, while N2 has a stable triple bond. This makes N2 less reactive than H2.

2. How does the reactivity of N2 and H2 affect their uses in industrial processes?

The low reactivity of N2 makes it useful for inert atmospheres and as a diluent in chemical reactions. H2's high reactivity makes it useful in fuel production and as a reducing agent in chemical reactions.

3. Can the reactivity of N2 and H2 be altered through chemical reactions?

Yes, the reactivity of both N2 and H2 can be altered through chemical reactions. For example, H2 can be converted into more reactive compounds such as ammonia, while N2 can be broken down into smaller, more reactive molecules.

4. Why is N2 more stable than H2?

N2 is more stable than H2 due to its triple bond, which requires a significant amount of energy to break. This stability makes N2 less reactive than H2.

5. How does temperature and pressure affect the reactivity of N2 and H2?

In general, increasing temperature and pressure can increase the reactivity of both N2 and H2. However, the specific effects will depend on the reaction and the conditions present.