1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

READ ME: How to use this forum

1. Feb 4, 2016 #1
    If you need help with a current homework (or alike) problem please go here:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/homework-and-coursework-questions.152/

This forum stores all the unanswered requests from the Introduction Physics Homework forum pre 2015.

We created this warehouse for a couple reasons:
    1. Members are always asking for practice problems and for challenges
    2. Unanswered homework threads provide no value and can actually harm. Nearly 50% of traffic to PF lands on homework threads. If a guest lands on a thread with no replies it looks poorly and the guest is not helped. PF becomes a knowledge base when a thread is older than a few months.
    Members are free to work on these older homework threads. Know that none of these problems are relevant to the OP because of their age. So it's best not to ask the OP questions because they likely won't respond, but they may. The point is that you should work with what you are provided to solve the problems without the OP's input. Members are encouraged to collaborate with others within the thread. Creative and alternate methods are also encouraged. Full solutions are acceptable.

To keep this forum list fresh we will be transferring threads with replies back into the main homework forum. There it will be valuable when guests land on it or when members find it via search. On the other hand threads that overtime do not receive any interest will be removed completely.

Keep in mind this list has not been thoroughly vetted. Some threads may have issues that require it to be removed. Please report them. Also note that pre 2009 there was no homework template.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2016 #2
    Shouldn't the name of the forum be something else though? "Practice Problems" sounds like something that's not going to be directly graded.. I bet people will start posting here instead of using the HW section.

Perhaps "Open Problems" would be better, dunno. Just my 2 cents.

4. Feb 4, 2016 #3
    Good suggestion, anyone else "like" it?

btw, new threads are disabled. (or should be)

5. Feb 4, 2016 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

As long as the ability to create new threads is disabled I don't foresee a problem with keeping the name as "Physics Practice Problems".
    I considered "Open Problems", but that implies, at least to me, that these are open in the sense that they are unanswered homework questions that need to be responded to, like in the homework forums. I think "Practice Problems" works better in context with what this new forum is about.

6. Feb 4, 2016 #5

Drakkith

Is there some sort of notice that tells people that the thread came from this forum and is no longer subject to some of the rules in the homework forum?

7. Feb 4, 2016 #6
    I don't see it as a problem because once moved it will be pages deep and basically back into the archive.

8. Feb 4, 2016 #7

Drakkith

Oh. I thought it jumped right to the top of the homework forum.

9. Feb 4, 2016 #8
    No I'll wait enough time to move it so that doesn't happen

10. Feb 4, 2016 #9

gneill

"Open Problems" sounds good.

Perhaps some mention should be made that attempts to hijack these old threads to ask new questions is not allowed. So "I have the same problem, what's the answer?", or, "I have a similar problem only its this instead..." type posts are not kosher here. Provide a solution attempt for the problem or your post will be deleted; Ask new questions in the homework area.

Suppose a thread here gets a couple of full solution attempts then is transferred back to the homework section. How will we distinguish the thread from regular homework where full solutions are not allowed? Do we need a tag of some kind? Either a text blurb at the top of the first post, or a thread tag that labels it as "open to full solution attempts"?

11. Feb 4, 2016 #10

berkeman

Can you enable the MARK SOLVED button in these threads? Or are they too old for that?

12. Feb 4, 2016 #11
    A tag is a good idea, I can get on that

I considered this, I can add.

Keep the suggestions flowing. We want to make this work!

13. Feb 4, 2016 #12

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Great idea. Practice and making the site cleaner and more appealing.

14. Feb 4, 2016 #13

meBigGuy

Gold Member

Why not just call it "Unsolved Homework"

15. Feb 4, 2016 #14
    that'd a great idea and make butten best answer

16. Feb 4, 2016 #15
    but maybe any member need it

17. Feb 4, 2016 #16

berkeman

Or Expired Unsolved Homework Threads

It's important that we distinguish between threads where the homework might still be pending to hand in, and old enough questions that there's no way the student can try to cheat by posting here.

18. Feb 4, 2016 #17

meBigGuy

Gold Member

I get it. I have not been involved at all in the homework process, so I don't see the subtleties.

19. Feb 4, 2016 #18
    you can make a new division and call it the archive for old threads instead of removing it because maybe in the future any member (old or new or will join) will need it later and you can arrange the threads a good arrangement

20. Feb 5, 2016 #19
    How do we ensure that a guest does not land directly here?

A VERY important issue. How is this being curbed? Do we report such instances?

If the question is MARK SOLVED, will it be transferred back to HW forum as Greg said? If it is, then will it still be MARK SOLVED?

It is true that these are unsolved homework questions, but the objective of the forum is to keep practicing questions (Atleast that is how I understood it)

One can always make a general time limit on how long the post must remain unanswered on a homework forum before it merits entry here.

21. Feb 5, 2016 #20
    Why not name this subforum Physics Problems Archive? Isn't it much easier to understand the function of the subforum?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted