Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reading about renormalization

1. Jan 13, 2006 #1
    When was reading about renormalization I did no understand the main Idea of the last :(:confused:
    It has been considered photon propagator with virtual pair of electron/pozitron. Takeing that loop integral the M^2 cuttoff is introduced, which tends then to ininifity, M^2 is "sopped up" in renormalized coupling constant, but even then when M^2 tends to infinity the coupling constant runs to infinity? Yes? Am I clear?

Pls help
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2006 #2
  4. Jan 16, 2006 #3
    One help needed please

I am not familiar with physics and that's why my questions may seem stupid for you, but could you pls help me and explain the Idea of formula 7.27 in attached file from Halzen F., Martin A.D. Quarks and leptons.
    Does not the e_R tends to infinity when M^2 goes to infinity?
    Thank you very much.

Attached Files:

5. Jan 16, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

??? :confused:
  6. Jan 16, 2006 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My feelings exactly!

7. Jan 16, 2006 #6
    Sorry, in my sickly, feverish state I didn't elaborate. He is asking about how Halzen and Martin go about doing renormalization of the electric charge. They introduce the cut-off, M, and show that the renormalized charge goes like:
    [tex] e_r \approx e(1-Log[M^2])^{\frac{1}{2}} [/tex]
    With a bunch of stuff I cannot remember off hand. So my understanding of the question was basically a simple math question. What does the limit as M-> infty do to e_r.
    Did I misinterperet or just not state enough in my original post? Maybe my math is completely wrong, that tends to happen with a fever...
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2006
  8. Jan 16, 2006 #7
    The limit of log(x²) as x->infin isn't zero.
  9. Jan 16, 2006 #8
    isn't it [tex]2 \log x[/tex] and [tex]\log x[/tex] approaches to infinity at [tex]x->\infty[/tex]?
  10. Jan 16, 2006 #9
    OMG...:rofl: :rofl:
    Well, the good news is I am feeling better and now see where I went wrong... :blushing: :blushing: :blushing: I even checked it with mathematica, funny thing is if you switch the variable and the base in mathematica, you get a very different answer...

time to get some rest... I suppose this means all the work I did today needs to be rechecked. :biggrin:

Edit: I deleted the post- my shame is too deep...
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?