Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reading Datasheets

1. Jun 25, 2008 #1
    Hi , Everyone
    I'm learning how to read datasheets , amd i have a question about this .
    In the datasheet of the transistor BC238 , in the Absolute Maximum Ratings the Ic = 10mA
    Does That mean that i can't get an Ic output = 1000mA .
    Thanks .
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

If the datasheet says absolute max is 10mA (which is pretty small, BTW, must be a dinky transistor!), then no, you can't pull more than that through it. In fact, you should generally stay away from the absolute max ratings anyway -- too close to damaging the device. You should instead look at the Safe Operating Area plot in the datasheet, and be sure to look at the thermal resistance for various mounting options, to be sure that you're keeping the transistor running reasonably cool in power applications.
  4. Jun 25, 2008 #3
    Thanks Alot Man .
    But My Datasheet doesn't have a Safe Operating Area plot , and don't ask me How !!!
    I'll Try to get another one
    Thanks again
  5. Jun 26, 2008 #4
    According to the Fairchild datasheet, Ic(max) is 100mA for the BC238.

Maximum collector dissipation is 500mW, which is reasonable in a TO92 package.

The other thing to bear in mind is that you can't have maximum current & maximum voltage at the same time... that is outside the "Safe Operating Area" and will let the magic smoke out of the device.
  6. Jun 26, 2008 #5
    ya zeitghost
    you are right , It's 100mA
    I must have been mixed it with another .
    Thanks .
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?