How Fast Can You Read with Spreeder?

• Thread starter Daniel Y.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
In summary, the conversation discusses various methods and techniques for speed reading, including the use of spreeders and subvocalization. The effectiveness and potential drawbacks of these methods are also mentioned, with some skepticism towards the claims of improving comprehension and the use of subvocalization. The conversation also touches on the personal experiences and preferences of the individuals involved, as well as their curiosity towards finding new ways to read faster.
Daniel Y.
http://www.spreeder.com/

Tell me what you think. I'm currently reading stuff at the 550 WPM mark, but it's going to take awhile for my comprehension to catch up (I was doing about 200 WPM before the program). Subvocalization be damned!

PS I can't wait to read at 800+ WPM.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that is "reading with a headache." I don't think my comprehension would ever catch up because if I miss a word it throws the whole thing off and I don't know what I'm reading. Also, with quotes and citations and so on it's just annoying, as sometimes you like to actually check the footnote at the bottom of the page.

Further still, I still "hear" the word in my mind no matter how fast it goes, or, until it becomes a blur.

"Advocates of speed reading generally claim that subvocalization "places extra burden on the cognitive resources, thus, slowing the reading down." These claims are currently backed only by controversial, sometimes non-existent scientific research; in some cases, concepts are drawn from pseudoscience and urban myths about the brain. Speedreading courses often prescribe lengthy practices to eliminate subvocalizing when reading. Normal reading instructors often simply apply remedial teaching to a reader who subvocalizes to the degree that they make visible movements on the lips, jaw, or throat.[2]

It may be impossible to totally eliminate subvocalization because people learn to read by associating the sight of words with their spoken sounds. Sound associations for words are indelibly imprinted on the nervous system—even of deaf people, since they will have associated the word with the mechanism for causing the sound or a sign in a particular sign language. Subvocalizing is an inherent part of reading and understanding a word, and micro-muscle tests suggest that subvocalizing is impossible to eliminate. Attempting to stop subvocalizing is potentially harmful to comprehension, learning, and memory. At the more powerful reading rates (100-300 words per minute), subvocalizing can be used to improve comprehension.
"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subvocalization

Daniel Y. said:
http://www.spreeder.com/

Tell me what you think. I'm currently reading stuff at the 550 WPM mark, but it's going to take awhile for my comprehension to catch up (I was doing about 200 WPM before the program). Subvocalization be damned!

PS I can't wait to read at 800+ WPM.

I've tried lots of different methods and it's always the comprehension that let's me down. Do you expect your comprehension to improve at your new speeds and how long do you think it will take to catch up? I'm always looking for a new way to read faster.

I read at about 250WPM for pleasure, 100WPM for technical docs and I scan at about a page every 5 seconds for researching or looking for info or something I knew was in there somewhere :wink:

I even tried photo reading which claims to give you up to 1 page per second with incredible comprehension, but that didn't really work and I really tried too. I even did the meditation and all the other strange steps to get it to work. I did notice an increase in the intensity of my dreams and my ability to remember them after photoreading some books though. That was cool, so I sometimes do it as a way to dream experiment.

keep us updated on your progress and maybe some speed vs comprehension figures over time to see how well it works.

OrbitalPower said:
I think that is "reading with a headache." I don't think my comprehension would ever catch up because if I miss a word it throws the whole thing off and I don't know what I'm reading. Also, with quotes and citations and so on it's just annoying, as sometimes you like to actually check the footnote at the bottom of the page.

Further still, I still "hear" the word in my mind no matter how fast it goes, or, until it becomes a blur.

"Advocates of speed reading generally claim that subvocalization "places extra burden on the cognitive resources, thus, slowing the reading down." These claims are currently backed only by controversial, sometimes non-existent scientific research; in some cases, concepts are drawn from pseudoscience and urban myths about the brain. Speedreading courses often prescribe lengthy practices to eliminate subvocalizing when reading. Normal reading instructors often simply apply remedial teaching to a reader who subvocalizes to the degree that they make visible movements on the lips, jaw, or throat.[2]

It may be impossible to totally eliminate subvocalization because people learn to read by associating the sight of words with their spoken sounds. Sound associations for words are indelibly imprinted on the nervous system—even of deaf people, since they will have associated the word with the mechanism for causing the sound or a sign in a particular sign language. Subvocalizing is an inherent part of reading and understanding a word, and micro-muscle tests suggest that subvocalizing is impossible to eliminate. Attempting to stop subvocalizing is potentially harmful to comprehension, learning, and memory. At the more powerful reading rates (100-300 words per minute), subvocalizing can be used to improve comprehension.
"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subvocalization

Look at an article, in your head count 1, 2, 3, 4 over and over, and read while you keep thinking "1, 2, 3, 4", this should dramatically improve the speeds at which you can read. It has worked for everyone I've tried it with - I'm betting you won't be an exception.

redargon said:
I've tried lots of different methods and it's always the comprehension that let's me down. Do you expect your comprehension to improve at your new speeds and how long do you think it will take to catch up? I'm always looking for a new way to read faster.

I read at about 250WPM for pleasure, 100WPM for technical docs and I scan at about a page every 5 seconds for researching or looking for info or something I knew was in there somewhere :wink:

I even tried photo reading which claims to give you up to 1 page per second with incredible comprehension, but that didn't really work and I really tried too. I even did the meditation and all the other strange steps to get it to work. I did notice an increase in the intensity of my dreams and my ability to remember them after photoreading some books though. That was cool, so I sometimes do it as a way to dream experiment.

keep us updated on your progress and maybe some speed vs comprehension figures over time to see how well it works.

As you continue to read at the higher WPM speed your mind will get used to the new rate and comprehend the material as fully as your old habits.

PhotoReading is a sham. It's SQ3R with an added bogus 'glance at the page' step.

A testimonial from a satisfied customer.
Woody Allen said:
I took a speed-reading course and read War and Peace in twenty minutes. It involves Russia.

1. How does Spreeder help improve reading speed?

Spreeder is a web-based application that uses a technique called "rapid serial visual presentation" (RSVP) to display words one at a time in quick succession. This method eliminates the need for eye movements and allows the reader to focus on reading without distractions, resulting in faster reading speed.

2. Can anyone use Spreeder to improve their reading speed?

Yes, Spreeder can be used by anyone who wants to improve their reading speed. It is suitable for all ages and reading levels, and can be customized to fit individual needs and preferences.

3. How fast can I expect to read with Spreeder?

The average reading speed for adults is around 200-300 words per minute (wpm). Spreeder allows you to set your own reading speed, and with regular practice, it is possible to reach speeds of 500-600 wpm or even higher.

4. Does Spreeder also improve comprehension?

While Spreeder's main focus is on improving reading speed, it can also help with comprehension. By removing distractions and allowing the reader to focus on one word at a time, Spreeder can improve overall reading fluency and understanding of the text.

5. Can I use Spreeder for all types of reading materials?

Spreeder can be used for any type of digital text, including eBooks, articles, and online documents. However, it may not be as effective for reading physical books or materials with complex formatting, such as charts or graphs.