Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reading Glare

1. Oct 25, 2005 #1
    I have a problem with reading... I notice that most lighting in combination with my books/textbooks really generates an awful glare. I know I can just tilt the book.. but in the case of a larger text book this is often a problem (even if I put something underneath to tilt it). Anyone know of any other solution(s).
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2005 #2

Gold Member

Oh God i've had that problem too with one of my text books! I'd like to know how to avoid this problem as well .
  4. Oct 25, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I used to have that problem when I was still a student too. It would really give me some nasty eye strain. About the best you can do is use indirect lighting...lights that shine against the walls or ceiling, not directly onto your books. Other than that, the only cure I know of is to graduate so you don't have to read so many shiny-paged textbooks anymore.
  5. Oct 25, 2005 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, I'm not a fan of shiny pages either.

I think the publishers/manufacturers should look into this.
  6. Oct 25, 2005 #5
    =-( ..... hmmm
  7. Oct 26, 2005 #6
    Use older texts.

They're usually better anyway.
  8. Oct 27, 2005 #7
    You can use daylight bulbs instead of regular ones, they reduce glare and supposedly provide a light better suited for reading or close up work. The only problem IMO is they make everything a little bluer. :uhh:
  9. Oct 27, 2005 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't like those bulbs. They don't seem as bright, and yes, everything looks blue.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?