Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reading glasses

1. Sep 12, 2016 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Okay i have been putting of wearing glasses, i guess old age is catching up on me, but what a difference it makes for reading i can actually see small print without squinting, are you coming up to 65 and still do not wear glasses?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Was 44 when I had to start using them :frown:

4. Sep 12, 2016 #3

Borg

Gold Member

My eyes are very different from each other. One is 20/25 and the other is 20/60. The doctor told me that I have the best of both worlds - one eye works well for distance vision and the other is dominate when I'm reading.

5. Sep 12, 2016 #4
    I started wearing glasses when I was about 8. I was nearsighted. I was astonished to find that I could make out individual blades of grass from a standing position when I first got them. I therefore considered them a wonderful invention.

In my mid-twenties I switched to soft contact lenses. They are a wonderful invention as well. However, they stopped working when I got to my mid-forties, I think, and I had to go back to glasses. Your vision keeps changing.

6. Sep 12, 2016 #5

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  7. Sep 12, 2016 #6

strangerep

Science Advisor

+1.

8. Sep 12, 2016 #7

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

I started wearing glasses when I was about 16, but with a very weak prescription to help see distances (my right eye is near perfect, my left is more near-sighted). From that time onwards, my vision has only weakened slightly, and I've largely had the same prescription over the past 10 years.

My mother started wearing reading glasses in her 60s, and my father started wearing bifocals in his late 50s (they are both approaching 70). So if heredity is any guide, I probably won't need reading glasses for another decade or two.

9. Sep 13, 2016 #8

Lisa!

Gold Member

I started wearing glasses since I was 18! I still hate them.:oldcry:

10. Sep 13, 2016 #9

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yes about the same ... 44 - 45 and I was noticing I couldn't focus on closer things like I was used to
    I went through a number of the grades of reading glasses available at the chemist (pharmacy) outlet
    x 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 That took me through to about 52 - 53 yrs of age. After that I started having to get prescription glasses
    and have normally used bifocals ... I hate them, tried the multi-focal ones, where the focus changes smoothly from the
    bottom to the top of the lens and have struggled with them too and went back to the bifocals

Dave

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  11. Sep 13, 2016 #10
    I've worn glasses since I was about 6. I'm short sighted and currently wear 3 dioptres. I've heard that some short sighted people needed smaller dioptries as they got older, but I'm not sure if that's true or only urban legend.
    What I like about my glasses is that they darken in the sun so I've always got sunglasses with me!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  12. Sep 13, 2016 #11

wolram

Gold Member

I feel for you, i hate wearing glasses, i only wear them when i have to .

13. Sep 13, 2016 #12

Larry Gopnik

Gold Member

I've been wearing them since I was about 13, I have to wear them all the time otherwise I strangly feel really sick, kind of like car sickness.

Over the summer while I was on placement I accidently melted my lenses from an accident in the lab and ended up frantically running to various opticians in the city I was staying at begging them for new glasses, I finally found a place that made glasses within the hour. I was saved...

14. Sep 13, 2016 #13

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

I was reading at age 2 and I had my first reading glasses at age 3, after a squint operation (probably totally unnecessary with hindsight) gave me long-sightedness and reduced my focus accommodation.

I've always worn spectacles since (although as a teenager I could get away without them for sports and similar as my distance vision was reasonable).

I managed with one pair of spectacles until about age 35, then two. I now have four pairs: reading, office (mostly computer), music (playing violin) and distance (from TV to driving).

15. Sep 14, 2016 #14

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I like wearing glasses because I know how lousy everything for me looks without 'em. But you know what I want? A monocle. Wolram, get a monocle!

16. Sep 17, 2016 #15

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just two or three years before your age, and work involving a lot of reading and looking at computer screens, I had to have reading glasses. I got these half-moon gold rimmed (colour, they surely were not real gold) ones, only needed when reading, and gloried in the fogeyish look they gave me, especially when peering over the tops of them. Later I had to get others for distance viewing, multifocal, and they told me to wear them all the time. At least there's a big choice of styles to choose from. The least obtrusive, If that's your problem, I guess what I call 'Truman'. I wasn't allowed to choose though the style, but they are fairly light.

Other people prefer 'genius' heavy hornrimmed but some people might fear that they just take you over. :oldsmile:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  17. Sep 18, 2016 #16
    I too don't like wearing my glasses. Mainly, I hate the idea of being so dependent on them ( I'm shortsighted). I've broken a few pairs while I wasn't home ( not a good situation) :rolleyes:

18. Sep 20, 2016 #17
    I wear them, but not for reading. It happened as a teen. I panicked when I discovered I was losing my vision. Can't remember exactly how I panicked, but I remember it was because of the clock. More or less something along these lines:

*goes into panic* I can't see the hour in the clock! Mom! Something's happening to me, I can't see the hour from here! I can't... I don't know... What's going on?! :cry: *scared*

As of right now my vision gets worse at a rate 3 years or so. But at first, it was every year.

Once I was walking to uni and forgot to put my eyeglasses on. I though the day was cloudy and that there was a lot of mist. I thought: "There's a lot of mist today... Wait... Argh! I forgot my eyeglasses!"

I thought it was mist because the trees looked blurry. o0)

19. Sep 20, 2016 #18

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

'Kay, your eyes won't focus --- ever hear of Ben Franklin? "Kwitcher bellyaching."

20. Sep 21, 2016 #19
    Yup. :camera:
    Yes, why? I don't need bifocals.
    o_O I have no idea of what that means. :oldconfused:

21. Sep 21, 2016 #20

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

A "colloquialism." :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted