Reading List: Easily Catch Up with Interesting Threads

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter JorisL
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of implementing a "read later" functionality on the Physics Forums app. This would allow users to save interesting threads for later viewing, rather than bookmarking them or relying on the watch thread feature. One user mentions that their bookmarks are often disorganized and that incorporating this feature into the app would be convenient. Another user points out that Physics Forums already has an internal bookmarking system available to Gold members. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to explore free options for supporting Physics Forums.
JorisL
Hey,

About every other day I find an interesting thread that would take to long to catch up to.
I wonder if there could be implemented some sort of "read later" functionality.

I would prefer that to e.g. bookmarking for several reasons.
One of the reasons is that my bookmarks are a mess (have to clean/sort every few weeks).
The other is that it might be easier if its incorporated into the app as well. I think it's nice to have a list somewhere of interesting topics you might have forgotten for commuting etc.

I know this isn't exactly trivial (the coupling with the app that is).

The watch thread capability is useful for active threads but eventually they die out which can void the goal.

Joris

Physics news on Phys.org
So how is it different than bookmarks or watched threads?

btw, do you mean browser bookmarking? Because PF does have an internal bookmarking system available to Gold members :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
So how is it different than bookmarks or watched threads?

btw, do you mean browser bookmarking? Because PF does have an internal bookmarking system available to Gold members :)

Aha seems I have to get me a gold membership :D

1. What is the purpose of a reading list?

A reading list serves as a tool for organizing and keeping track of interesting or important threads or articles that a person wants to read or refer back to in the future. It helps to prevent information overload and ensures that important information is not forgotten or lost.

2. How do reading lists work?

Reading lists typically function as a feature within a larger platform or application, such as a web browser or social media site. Users can add links or save posts to their reading list, which they can then access and read at a later time.

3. Can reading lists be shared with others?

Yes, some reading list features allow for sharing with others. This can be useful for sharing interesting articles or information with friends or colleagues, or for collaborating on a project or research.

4. Are reading lists only for online content?

No, reading lists can also be used for offline content, such as books, articles, or documents that a person wants to read or reference in the future. These can be added to a reading list manually or through a scanning feature.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using reading lists?

One potential drawback is that reading lists can become overwhelming if not regularly maintained. It's important to regularly review and remove items that are no longer of interest or relevance in order to keep the list manageable. Additionally, some reading list features may require an internet connection to access saved content.