1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reading pH on graph

1. May 14, 2014 #1
    For b), do I really need to look at the graph to get the volume of HCl poured? Is there not a more precise way?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What is wrong about reading volume from the plot?

4. May 14, 2014 #3
    Imprecision?

5. May 15, 2014 #4

Borek

When all you have is a plot...

6. May 15, 2014 #5
    ? You are given 3 place accuracy for the M of the HCl. You can't get better accuracy than the standards you are working with. If you can obtain the (digital) data, then the graph would be less preferable, but converting points on a graph to a table is unlikely to improve your accuracy (as compared to precision), especially when the data appears to be (suspiciously) well behaved, as in this case. (In other words, if there were more noise in the data, then converting to a table then doing least squares regression would likely help). I assume you understand the difference between precision and accuracy (as well as the difference between efficiency and effectiveness).

7. May 15, 2014 #6

Borek

Bolding mine. OP doesn't say anything about being given these data. Looks like this is a question quoted verbatim from some exam.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted