Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reading Smythe's book on static and dynamic electricity

1. Jul 4, 2005 #1
    reading Smythe's book on "static and dynamic electricity"

Hi,

I am reading Smythe's book on "static and dynamic electricity" (1st edition, 1939) and I'm having trouble deriving some of the formulas. I wonder if someone already corrected that. For instance,

1.10 - Gauss's electric flux theorem. The expression for the normal flux component has a superfluous K : [tex] dN = E_n \cdot dS[/tex]
    1.101 - I can't seem to obtain the expression for N, unless if [tex]sin^2(\alpha) = 2 \cdot (1 - cos(\alpha))[/tex] (actually : [tex] 1- cos(2\alpha) = 2 \cdot sin^2(\alpha)[/tex]).

thanks,

Nakis

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2005 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I suggest you try a newer high level EM book with clearer derivations than Smythe.
    No trig is needed to derive Gauss's law.

4. Jul 4, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Check your library for Griffiths.

5. Jul 4, 2005 #4
    I personally like the Schwartz Principles of Electrodynamics. His arguements are very physical, and he more or less teaches you the basics of special relativity at a very natural point in the book; the middle, not as an afterthought.

6. Jul 4, 2005 #5

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Griffiths is lower level than Smythe. Schwartz has a great book, but starting with SR doesn't help electrostatics. There is a new book "Classical Electromagnetism"
    by Franklin (Addison-Wesley) that is close to Smythe's (or Jackson's) level with less complication.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?