Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reading Speed

1. Dec 15, 2004 #1
    I know this isn't exactly an English forum, but many of the members here do know quite a bit about English and reading. I find that when I'm reading something I automatically start hearing the words in my head. I feel this is slowing down my reading speed, is there any way for me to start reading sentences as words to simply interpret the data? To do this would I just have to practice?

I'm curious because I'm fairly good at English; however, my reading speed isn't at a level I'd prefer.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2004 #2
    Personally I would not complain. I am english and I hear the words in my head so don't worry about it. I can, however, skim read. I do this by simply moving my eyes (at speed) over the sentences and I have now learned just to pick up the information but it might take time because you almost have to stop thinking on what you are reading.

The Bob (2004 ©)

4. Dec 15, 2004 #3
    I can read much faster than I can hear the words, at least I could. When I started thinking about whether or not I was hearing the words I read I couldn't not hear them. thank you for slowing my reading by at least 50%.

5. Dec 15, 2004 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow...it's possible to read without hearing the words ?

6. Dec 15, 2004 #5
    Can't you read without moving your ears?

7. Dec 15, 2004 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know, I have a hard time watching my ears and reading at the same time. Okay, I'll read, you watch and tell me what my ears are doing. :biggrin:

8. Dec 15, 2004 #7
    Okay, I'll have to hold your hair up. I hope my breath on your ear doesn't bother you while you read.

9. Dec 15, 2004 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Definitely not hearing the words I'm reading now. No idea what I'm reading. Hey! That tickles! :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?