Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reading the Rules

1. Aug 1, 2007 #1

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I imagine this is intended - I've just had to look at various guideline stickies over the last couple minutes. If this was the plan, I'm just letting you (mods/admins) know it worked for me.

Much needed, I think.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2007 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ah. Ok, I thought I did something wrong and was being forced to reread them! Yeah, seems like a good idea, especially for new members.

4. Aug 1, 2007 #3
    Our previous tool for encouraging the reading of our guidelines broke, so this is new and seems to work nicely. You should only be asked once, unless we revise.

5. Aug 1, 2007 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

i am curious why i am being asked to read these rules after all this time. it feels insulting. have i been thought by someone to have violated them? it almost caused me to consider withdrawing from the forum. now it seems from these posts it is just an insensitive method of enforcing reading them on everyone regardless of seniority here. is that correct?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  6. Aug 1, 2007 #5

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Don't feel singled out, everyone is being made to reread the rules.

This includes me!

7. Aug 1, 2007 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

well it should be asked dife=ferently. the natural reaction to the statement that the administrators want you to read the rules is : why me? why now?

you should revise it to say the administratiors want everyone to read the rules at this time.

it is especially annoying that the statement reappeared 5 or 6 times with repeated links to obvious rules that I am obviously aware of.

8. Aug 1, 2007 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Relax, mathwonk. It would be impossible for us to go through the entire membership and consciously decide who needs to read the rules and who doesn't. You are clearly not the "target audience" for the initiative.

- Warren

9. Aug 1, 2007 #8
    Mathwonk if you'd like to develop an addon which meets your delicate needs, please do so, until then relax. I like said before, we are implementing this new tool as the previous addon broke awhile back and it was not possible to import who read/agreed in the previous addon.

10. Aug 1, 2007 #9

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Same feelings as mathwonk, but i found it informative, anyway.

11. Aug 1, 2007 #10
    Is anyone being asked to view the same guidelines for the same forum more than once?

12. Aug 1, 2007 #11

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

sorry to be so testy, as that itself is out of spirit of the guidelines, but I do think you could try to avoid making people feel that they are being singled out as the current language does. you seem not to want to bother however, and to prefer to blame it on me. by the way your sarcasm is not entirely in keeping with forum guidelines greg.

13. Aug 1, 2007 #12
    I have reworked the default text to something more appropriate.

14. Aug 1, 2007 #13
    I think it might be a good idea to add an explanation like this to the message that accompanies redirection to the forum rules. Then people wouldn't think (as, perhaps, some did) that they were singled out and "punished" for some violation.

Eugene.

EDIT: My post was too late. Apparently you have done that already. Thanks, Greg.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  15. Aug 1, 2007 #14

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Well, I was surprised by how many there were to read, considering that the message implied there was one thread to read....but there were 5 or 6. Except for that, I think it is good to put the rules in front of everyone every now and then (especially in light of changes).

16. Aug 2, 2007 #15

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

That confused me too. At first I thought something was broken and I was stuck in an endless loop, but then I noticed I was seeing a different set of rules each time I tried to go to the main forum list.

17. Aug 2, 2007 #16

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Same here.

18. Aug 2, 2007 #17

Danger

Gold Member

It was a bit confusing. At first, I thought that I'd screwed up and was being reprimanded... but there was no PM, so that wasn't it. Then, like JT, I thought that I was stuck in a loop until I realized that they were all different links. In all, it was irritating, but worth while. All that I really want to know is if this thing is keeping track of who has been through it so that we don't encounter it every time that we log on. If so, then I think that it's a really good way to make sure that people know what's what.

19. Aug 2, 2007 #18
    I didn't feel singled out, I figured it out right away that it was for everyone, and not just me. I did, however, think for a minute that I was stuck in a loop, unable to access the forums. Then I noticed that it was a different set of rules each time.

20. Aug 2, 2007 #19
    I thought it was annoying too. They force your rules on you, and use all that harsh language - "You should only be asked once". Then you read one thread, want to get on with the forum and they shove another one in your face. And most of them are from the sub-forums that I not only don't post in, I don't even read them. Like politics and stuff. And most points repeat each other.

I thought it was very stupid and disrespectful. I bet the person who came up with the idea is American(there you go, personal attack and unfounded speculation). I'd never normally post something like this, only I'm quite annoyed and can't think of a different explanation.

The physics forums lost quite a few points in my eyes today. :bugeye:

21. Aug 2, 2007 #20

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Am I THAT bad??

I had to read at least 5 guidelines pages before being admitted into the forums today..:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?