Do You Hear Words When Reading to Yourself?

• Thread starter Jerbearrrrrr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of subvocalization while reading and how it can affect reading speed and comprehension. Some individuals are able to absorb information from literature without making any sound or moving their lips, while others may subvocalize without realizing it. Speed reading techniques can help break this habit, but it requires total concentration and can be mentally tiring. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that the ability to absorb information from reading without subvocalizing is not necessarily a talent, but rather a skill that can be developed.
Jerbearrrrrr
When you read to yourself, say for leisure (not reading physics or mathematics for example) or in 'ordinary circumstances', do you hear each word in your head?

I think I might just be a retard, but it turns out that I'm skim-reading if and only if I don't 'hear the words in my head'.

People weren't always able to do this easily. In fact, there was one priest in the ancient world who was renown for the ability to absorb information from literature without making any sound or even moving his lips.

How weird is that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jerbearrrrrr said:
When you read to yourself, say for leisure (not reading physics or mathematics for example) or in 'ordinary circumstances', do you hear each word in your head?

I think I might just be a retard, but it turns out that I'm skim-reading if and only if I don't 'hear the words in my head'.

People weren't always able to do this easily. In fact, there was one priest in the ancient world who was renown for the ability to absorb information from literature without making any sound or even moving his lips.

How weird is that.

That last part sounds made up frankly, but people generally either think in language or through image - the two most dominant of our senses.

Yeah I just saw it on TV, on QI a second ago. Not the gospel truth necessarily, but it's meant to be a programme that looks for counter-intuitive truths (somewhat in the sense of mythbusters). It's quite high profile in the UK, but granted, doesn't have any bearing on its validity.

Anyway, I wish I could find out how I thought about things (surpress the urge to clarify definitions for now) before language was known. :\

This last part doesn't make sense. People weren't always able to do what easily?
And who can't read without moving their lips? That's not a talent.

Jerbearrrrrr said:

How weird is that.

Reading fiction, I always hear the words. Even different voices for different characters, haha.

leroyjenkens said:
This last part doesn't make sense. People weren't always able to do what easily?
And who can't read without moving their lips? That's not a talent.

I think the idea is that it used to be hard for humans to read. I find it pretty incredulous though.

When I'm reading math especially I need to repeat everything again in my head or I find myself skipping through all the equations with no idea what really happened. When just reading fiction or something I tend to skip a lot of details anyway because I'm lazy

I can hear the words, but I mostly concentrate on the mental picture that is evolving, and then forget about hearing the internal voice. Sometimes it's very difficult to read books that are very linear. In most nonfiction books I read, I like to skip around to the middle, or the ending to get an idea of what's going on, and then skip back to the beginning, and repeat this many times.

Jerbearrrrrr said:
When you read to yourself, say for leisure (not reading physics or mathematics for example) or in 'ordinary circumstances', do you hear each word in your head? ...

When reading literature, I find that I don't pay much attention to the words at all, probably just enough attention to maintain accuracy. Instead, a great deal of my concentration is focused on the images that are created by whatever I happen to be reading: facial expressions, body language, voice intonations, emotions, scenery, general mood, lighting, etc.

Many people sound the words out in their throat without realizing it. This is referred to as subvocalization. This seems to be the result of the way we learn to read. We first read out loud exclusively, but eventually are told to read to ourselves. At first we probably move our lips, but then we are chastised to the point that we stop even that. However, due to the training, most people continue to sound out the words in their throat. Since no one is able to observe this effect by watching, this habit is not typically broken.

This is what limits reading speed in many people. Speed readers do not do this, but are able to take in groups of words without the need to sound out any individual words.

I broke this subvocalization habit when I learned how to speed read in high school. It turns out the mind can absorb words much faster than we typically speak. I'm able to read a novel at about 3 times faster than normal, but it requires total concentration, is mentally tiring and is not always fun. Because of this I tend not to read this fast unless I'm in a rush. I assume that I revert back to subvocalization when I do read normally, but I really have no way to know for sure. However, sometimes, I get into a book and automatically accelerate to high speed reading without effort and without even realizing it. It's really cool when it happens.

Based on this experience, I conclude that Jerbearrrrrr is not a retard at all.

I only hear the words when I think about whether or not I hear the words.

Alienjoey said:
I only hear the words when I think about whether or not I hear the words.

Think about this: can you hear me? What you heard right then, that was actually me :smile:.

I usually only read for leisure so I tend to take my time and "hear" what I am reading. When I am not really enjoying a book much I may start speeding through though I find I have trouble remembering much of what I read when I speed read.

lisab said:
Think about this: can you hear me? What you heard right then, that was actually me :smile:.

You have a cute typing voice. ;-)

I don't usually hear what I'm reading, I just read through it.

Evo said:
I don't usually hear what I'm reading, I just read through it.
Can you count while you are reading?
What you do in your mind when you counting?

estro said:
Can you count while you are reading?
What you do in your mind when you counting?
Surely you're joking, Mr. Estro.

stevenb said:
We first read out loud exclusively, but eventually are told to read to ourselves. At first we probably move our lips, but then we are chastised to the point that we stop even that.
Yes, this is why the monk story is completely plausible. In a society of people who are not chastised for reading aloud exclusively, every one would continue to do this their whole lives. Someone who started reading silently would seem like a freak.

I hear a vague "echo" of the sound in my head, like a radio far away in the distance.

When I type, the sound from hitting the keys also makes for a "voice" of sorts.

zoobyshoe said:
Surely you're joking, Mr. Estro.
I'm not=)

estro said:
I'm not=)

My bad. I referenced the wrong book. I should have asked "What do you care if people can count while reading?"

Feynman conducted experiments of this nature with a buddy of his. It's in "What Do You Care What Other People Think?"

zoobyshoe said:
My bad. I referenced the wrong book. I should have asked "What do you care if people can count while reading?"

Feynman conducted experiments of this nature with a buddy of his. It's in "What Do You Care What Other People Think?"

This why I asked this question.
I worship Feynman=)

Reading Feynman causes me chills=)

Last edited:

1. What is the phenomenon of hearing words when reading to yourself called?

The phenomenon of hearing words when reading to yourself is called "subvocalization".

2. Is subvocalization a common experience?

Yes, subvocalization is a common experience for most readers. It is estimated that about 90% of people subvocalize while reading.

3. Can subvocalization affect reading speed?

Yes, subvocalization can affect reading speed. It is believed that subvocalization can slow down reading speed, as the brain needs to process both the visual and auditory information from the words being read.

4. Is subvocalization necessary for understanding what is being read?

No, subvocalization is not necessary for understanding what is being read. Skilled readers are able to comprehend and retain information without subvocalizing every word.

5. Is there a way to reduce or eliminate subvocalization while reading?

Yes, there are techniques that can help reduce or eliminate subvocalization while reading, such as using a speed reading technique or focusing on keywords rather than every word. However, subvocalization is a natural and automatic process, so completely eliminating it may not be possible for everyone.