Understanding Variable Force and Kinetic Energy: Exploring Halliday's Answers

In summary, Behold Halliday's Question and Halliday's answers:(a) The kinetic energy of the body at x = 3.0 m is 12 J.(b) The body will have a kinetic energy of 8.0 J at x = 4.0 m.(c) The maximum kinetic energy attained by the body between x = 0 and x = 5.0 m is 28 J.
mbrmbrg
Behold Halliday's Question and Halliday's answers:

The only force acting on a 2.0 kg body as it moves along the x-axis varies as shown in Figure 7-41 (see attatchment). The velocity of the body at x = 0 is 4.0 m/s.

(a) What is the kinetic energy of the body at x = 3.0 m?
12 J
(b) At what value of x will the body have a kinetic energy of 8.0 J?
4.0 m
(c) What is the maximum kinetic energy attained by the body between x = 0 and x = 5.0 m?
18 J

I am stumped. I've only tried to figure out (a) and (b), but my method does not give me correct answers. My train of thought was that Delta KE=W=area under curve. So for part (a), I said that area under graph is (triangle-triangle-rectangle) = -4 Nm. Well, gee.
Maybe since KE is always positive, take the absolute value of various areas! I think that is very poor reasoning, because Delta KE and W can both be negative. And even when I do that, I get 8 Nm, which is still wrong.
Similar reasoning applied to (b) also gives the incorrect answer, which is comforting.

A hint from the wise gurus perhaps?

Attachments

• webassign 7.9 graph.doc
    22 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org
mbrmbrg said:
My train of thought was that Delta KE=W=area under curve. So for part (a), I said that area under graph is (triangle-triangle-rectangle) = -4 Nm. Well, gee.

Correct.

The change of KE is equal to the work done on the body. If the work is negative, the kinetic energy will decrease. Final KE - initial KE = W. You know the initial KE, (16 J) you know W,(-4 J) what is the problem?

ehild

Problem is that I thought initial Kinetic Energy was 4J. Wups!
Thank you.

I'm doing the same problem. Does anyone know the answers?
I got 12J for (a) but I'm lost on (b) and (c)

Edit: this is what I got after some thought...

(a) 12 J
(b) x=4
(c) 28 J

anyone agree?

1. What is a variable force graph?

A variable force graph is a visual representation of the relationship between force and displacement, where the force acting on an object changes over time or distance. It shows how the force applied to an object affects its motion.

2. How is a variable force graph different from a constant force graph?

In a variable force graph, the force acting on an object changes, while in a constant force graph, the force remains the same throughout. Variable force graphs are more complex and can show the effects of multiple forces acting on an object.

3. How do you interpret a variable force graph?

The slope of a variable force graph represents the acceleration of the object, and the area under the curve represents the work done on the object. The steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration, and the larger the area under the curve, the more work is done on the object.

4. What are some real-life examples of variable force graphs?

Variable force graphs can be seen in many real-life scenarios, such as a car accelerating and decelerating, a rollercoaster moving up and down, or a person jumping on a trampoline. These situations involve changing forces that affect the motion of the object.

5. How can variable force graphs be used in scientific research?

Variable force graphs can be used to study the effects of different forces on an object and can help scientists understand the relationship between force and motion. They can also be used to analyze and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as a rocket launching into space.